Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

This may change everything - for me
This may change everything - for me
This little piece of foam reduced my major leak rate from running between 50% to 80% down to 0%.

It is just a little corner of memory foam from my bed topper the only memory foam I could find laying around - the other foam I tried was a specialty foam I used for something else and it did not work well at all.

This piece is about 1 inch tall and the 3 sides are about 1/2 inch each. I just place it at the top of my F10 (FFM) where the silicone meets the bridge of my nose with the point/edge of the foam in the point of the mask and the flat side of the foam facing my nose bridge, then adjust the straps until no tighter than necessary to get the leaks to stop. Instant 0% leaks all night!

My next step is to try to find someplace to buy a small sheet of 1/2 inch thick memory foam. They seem to want to sell it in 1 inch and up - which is thicker than I think I need. I will then carefully cut (not crudely like this piece) a "gasket" the shape of the edge of the F10 - similar to the mask liners just without the large flap outside that tends to irritate my eyes. I actually think a 1/4 inch thick piece will be enough and may be more comfortable, but so far I have not found any source that thin.

The strange thing is just putting this little wedge into the bridge location stops the leaks all the way around and the mask feels MUCH more comfortable. I expect it is just that with the bridge cushioned I can adjust the straps tighter and not feel uncomfortable from the mask cutting into the bridge of my nose.

If anyone knows of a source for 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch memory foam, please let me know.

[Image: foam.jpg]
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: This may change everything - for me
Congratulations Frank!
You might need to make your own hot wire foam cutter. Googling the term will yield several low cost ideas on the subject. I'm anxious to hear your results.

OH!, When do you plan to have the IPO roll out?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

IPO? I'm waiting for the documentary. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I was looking for something to put between my cheek and chin strap to stop mouth leaks on my p10. This might start to something big.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
No IPO's in my future, I am 100% dedicated to making this retirement thing a success Smile

The hot wire cutter sounds good, I will look it up, I was thinking about seeing if I could get a 1 foot square of 4 inch memory foam, and slicing it down to 1/2 inch slices - then carving out the shape of the mask to make a "gasket".

Rcgop - sigh, there is always someone in the crowd like you! I had finally managed to write off my P10 pillows as a lost cause because of my mouth breathing - I had not considered using foam over my mouth (I have tried, glue, tape, chinstraps, etc., etc, etc, etc, with no joy.) The reasons for choosing the memory foam is that it is "conforming" to the shape of the face and I think it is called "closed cell?" Or at least it is mostly air tight when compressed. So, a chin strap holding a piece of memory foam across the mouth might be worth a try. However, the last time I tried the P10 I ended up with a lot of air pumped into my stomach which was very uncomfortable - sigh...

Anyway, if this works for the F10, I will publish a template here for carving up your own gasketI expect some way to hold it in place on the mask or face would also be helpful, but one step at a time.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
With the hot wire thing, make sure you use it outdoors, don't breathe the fumes.
With memory foam: check the specs. 3,4,5,6 pound pour goes to the density-don't be fooled by the "new" rating system that uses a weight to get the number-it's about half as dense and is pure marketing to make it look lower cost. The pound pour is what is the weight of 1 cubic foot of material.

You published, so no patent for you Smile or anyone.

http://www.instructables.com/ search for hot wire
Post Reply Post Reply
I checked a few places and it looks like hot wire is not recommended for memory foam, the tool of choice is electric carving knife if you are in a hurry or a serrated bread knife if you have all day.

I ordered a pice of 3"x18"x16" memory foam to see if I can make something out of it, I am thinking of doing it in two pieces and possibly gluing them together. I also would like to figure out a way to get it to attach to the mask cushion - but not permanently, so it can be moved to a new mask or cleaned. One idea is to carve out a trench the mask would slide into and have a friction fit to hold it on.

If this works, it would be great, and cheaper than liners which cost about $24 for 2 to 3 months. I see no reason for this to not be semi-permanent, and one time cost to be less than $5 assuming I can find a cheap source of small pieces in a "scrap" sell somewhere. Or maybe a group purchase - the piece I purchased cost about $15 and should make around 18 of them even with 50% waste.

And of course if some one doesn't like the feel of memory foam on their skin/face, it could be covered in a fine cotton cloth - some sewing required Smile
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2016, 11:20 AM)PoolQ Wrote: You published, so no patent for you Smile or anyone.

http://www.instructables.com/ search for hot wire

I have a couple patents from my previous life - they typically are not worth the effort Smile
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank,

Another thought to cutting the foam is if you might have access to a bandsaw.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank with a bandsaw?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 40 9 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,447 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,713 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 367 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.