Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

This may change everything - for me
RE: This may change everything - for me
Sounds painful, I don't think I want to get around you and a bandsaw!

That would probably work well, or a jigsaw, but jig saws are harder to hold a straight line. The instructions from the memory foam people are for a serrated blade that moves quickly for short distances and slowly through the foam so as to not compress it in either the direction of the cut or the direction of the travel. So, a blade that is moving up and down quickly and has a very fine serrated or very fine toothed edge would probably work - smooth edges like regular knives don't work so well on it.

The more I think out what you said, the more I think a saber or jog saw on a table adapter would work well for the curved shape of the gasket to fit the mask...

Thanks, I have a good saber saw, but no band saw. ( I cream of band saws and joiners/planners but alas, I like high quality, and those are not cheap, and there are other priorities in our life at the moment - like saving for a trip around the world before we move on to the next stage...)
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Without getting too expensive or complicated, the best tools for cutting memory foam are an electric carving knife (a personal favorite), or a plain razor knife. I'm picturing Frank getting his fingers in the job using a saw, and it isn't a pretty picture. Most saw blades just jiggle the foam rather than cutting it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank
Google Nichrome wire foam cutter. You should get everything you need.
I use a foam in my RC model airplanes that feels like it might be the right stuff. I am out of the foam so I am going to have to find some Also there might be some foam at the craft stores. They sell products like foam for pillows. Keep us posted as will I.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
FrankNichols

Google nichrome wire foam cutter. you will find every thing you need and where to buy the nichrome wire.

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi FrankNichols,
Thanks for the tip and I hope this works for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Kudos, Frank, for not giving up on cpap.

Sleep-well
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you have a latex allergy, I'd consider 100% natural latex (plant substance found in nature) over memory foam (a polyeurathane material) or synthetic latex, if it can work just as well. Rather ingenious that you came up with this out of the box fix, in any case, best of luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2016, 05:06 PM)FieldofDreams Wrote: Unless you have a latex allergy, I'd consider 100% natural latex (plant substance found in nature) over memory foam (a polyeurathane material) or synthetic latex, if it can work just as well. Rather ingenious that you came up with this out of the box fix, in any case, best of luck!

I will look into it, the criteria is to be pliant and soft and AIR TIGHT, I tried a cheap foam from Walmart and it leaked as if it wasn't there. The memory foam I used is air tight, air does not pass through it, and it is obviously pliable and soft. I will see if I can find a latex to try.

By the way a few days into using that corner of foam and my leak problems are solved and no soreness on the bridge of my nose when I get up in the morning.

Thanks

Edit: Auto correct had fun with this post Smile
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
open cell verses closed cell foam. Many people have latex allergies, not a pretty sight. "natural" is not always better, poison ivy and oak come to mind-it's just a plant oil.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2016, 09:04 PM)PoolQ Wrote: open cell verses closed cell foam. Many people have latex allergies, not a pretty sight. "natural" is not always better, poison ivy and oak come to mind-it's just a plant oil.

Cyanide is a natural component of wild almonds.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 40 11 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,714 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 367 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.