Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

This might be a dumb question.
This might be a dumb question.
I haven't started treatment yet. But do people sleep through the night on Cpap/Apap?
I woke early this morning with a screaming migraine. I'm sick of feeling sick every single day.Loco
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: This might be a dumb question.
(11-22-2015, 09:23 AM)SpeedyD Wrote: I haven't started treatment yet. But do people sleep through the night on Cpap/Apap?
I woke early this morning with a screaming migraine. I'm sick of feeling sick every single day.Loco

Before I was on APAP, I was up every 2 hours, and the headaches seemed endless.

I adapted fairly easy and slept well, only waking up once or twice, during the first couple months, but the headaches went away almost immediately, and blood pressure dropped top.

Now after a year, I usually sleep through the night, sometimes I may get up just once.

It is really all about attitude toward Cpap and of course finding the right mask. Wink

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2015, 09:23 AM)SpeedyD Wrote: I haven't started treatment yet. But do people sleep through the night on Cpap/Apap?

Yes. Some do, some don't. Just like people without sleep apnea.

If you're waking a lot during the night, that may or may not stop immediately when you start CPAP therapy. Some people take right to it and sleep through the night. Others take a while to adapt. It's different for different people.

In my case I couldn't go more than 2 hours without waking up. After starting CPAP therapy things actually got worse, but then within a few weeks they started getting better. Now I go up 6 hours without waking, feel so much better, and the decades-long struggle with chronic headaches has ended.

Quote:I woke early this morning with a screaming migraine. I'm sick of feeling sick every single day.

You'll feel better, and significantly reduce the risk of a heart attack, stroke, and early death from cardiovascular disease.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. This is one of those. :-)

A good answer is... Yes.

I knew beyond a doubt that I had OSA for at least 5 years. Suspected it for years before that. Resisted doing anything about it, less because of the mask, etc, but because I don't like doctors. I knew I needed a sleep study, and a prescription for a machine, though.

When I got to the point that anyone I spoke to knew they were boring me because I'd nod off mid sentence, though... I was bad. If my attention wasn't fully on something, I'd drop into a micro sleep at the drop off a hat. Couldn't stay awake after 10 AM at my desk, up 2, 3, 4 times a night to go to the bathroom, etc.

First night on cpap, 9.5 hours sleep, straight. Unbroken. My wife said I didn't move, kick, snort, jerk etc. Wide awake all day. Memory started to be something I could rely on, again. Watched the last half of a movie that night, for the first time in years.

So... Yes. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Prior to being diagnosed, most nights I would sleep right through 2200 to about 0600.
Since being diagnosed and going on CPAP, I am lucky to get 4.5 hours sleep, on waking I remove the mask and attempt to get back to sleep, this after 14 weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply

I've been on CPAP/APAP for about 2 weeks. It has really helped me to sleep deeply through the night. I am still struggling with health problems, but the CPAP has really helped.

I sleep through the night on CPAP - hardly ever a washroom break.

I used to wake up A LOT before CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
The short answer... yes and no. What I will assume you are asking is, can I get used to CPAP and sleep through the night with this machine. The answer to that is, YES, you can get used to it and sleep all night. Now, the other side of the question is, what other things are affecting your sleep? CPAP is only one side of a multi sided die, and you might, (and probably will) have to look at other things that affect your sleep. That said, remember that everyone is different, some get immediate positive results, others struggle to find the right mask, etc. Then there are those who have to address other factors that may be harming their sleep. My advice is to "keep coming back here", as these people collectively have seen it all. YOU CAN DO THIS. Your health will be better, even if you do not see dramatic results right off... Even if you have problems adjusting to the therapy at first. Many have made it through the success door, some take longer, but many make it through to a better life. Good luck, Wishing you much health and a good night's sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

The headache was the first thing to go away. However, I have multiple causes of headaches, so was just lucky the others were treated first or I would have just said the Cpap wasn't working. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2015, 10:05 AM)Phill Wrote: Prior to being diagnosed, most nights I would sleep right through 2200 to about 0600.
Since being diagnosed and going on CPAP, I am lucky to get 4.5 hours sleep, on waking I remove the mask and attempt to get back to sleep, this after 14 weeks.

For some of us it takes time to adapt. Since you spend time sleeping without the benefit of CPAP therapy you aren't allowing yourself to adapt.

When you wake up do whatever it takes to avoid going back to sleep without the mask on. You are fighting for your life here. Get out of bed if you have to. Only go back to bed when you are ready to wear the mask.

It will be tough for awhile. But in the end you will be rewarded with a better quality of life. And a longer life.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband has been on CPAP for a little over three weeks and he sleeps through the night. It was a little hard getting used to it the first night, but he fell asleep pretty easily. The hardest part was putting all the gear back on after he went to the bathroom. It takes a little trial and error finding the right mask. He is using the SleepWeaver Elan now and really likes it. He has also used the Aloha Nasal Pillow mask and the Dreamwear Nasal mask and liked both of them too. The Elan is his preference right now because it is made of cloth. He also really liked the Dreamwear because the hose comes off the top of his head. He says he has been sleeping well since he started, but he never had complaints about poor sleep before he started treatment either.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dumb Question - Just nervous and want some clarification kc90 5 304 02-09-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Why are masks designed with holes? (probably a dumb question) fillmore50 12 2,792 10-28-2021, 09:21 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] Dumb question #1 MARrshh 10 1,259 10-09-2021, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Probably a dumb question... CactusJack 3 711 02-27-2021, 05:00 PM
Last Post: CactusJack
  dumb question, why do people wear cpap to read? Kryogen 19 5,331 01-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Last Post: picante
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,423 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Really dumb question LabDog66 3 1,277 11-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Ockrocket

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.