Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Those "When Do You Doze" Questionaires
Those "When Do You Doze" Questionaires
At my first appt. with the sleep dr. they gave a whole bunch of scenarios (10?)and asked if you ever doze like, "as a passenger in a car" or "watching TV" or many other examples. I put zero for every thing because I NEVER ever doze off in ANY situation. Then, recently, my new dr. did the same and my answers were the same.
When I asked each dr. what significance or importance do the dozing queries have, they both said they are really not important at all in either diagnosing osa or treating it. So why the hell do they ask?!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Those "When Do You Doze" Questionaires
(10-31-2016, 09:40 PM)harmon k Wrote: At my first appt. with the sleep dr. they gave a whole bunch of scenarios (10?)and asked if you ever doze like, "as a passenger in a car" or "watching TV" or many other examples. I put zero for every thing because I NEVER ever doze off in ANY situation. Then, recently, my new dr. did the same and my answers were the same.
When I asked each dr. what significance or importance do the dozing queries have, they both said they are really not important at all in either diagnosing osa or treating it. So why the hell do they ask?!

Well, if you do answer "yes" to any of these they might check you a little more carefully and consider getting you a sleep study or adjust your machine settings. It gives them an idea of whether they should check you out for S.A. more closely.

Whenever I go get a blood test they repeatedly ask me my name, birth date, address and zip code. Today they asked me twice. I guess after 70 they might be checking for any signs of memory loss, though in my case my memory for such things is fine, while I do notice that I often forget where I put something a couple of minutes before. They never check me for that, though.

I sometimes like to freak them out by spelling my last name out in the official phonetic alphabet just to show off.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Daytime sleepiness may be other medical conditions, diabetes, low thyroid, even idiopathic daytime hypersomnolence (a "we don't know why, but you get real sleepy during the day" diagnosis).

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
It's called the Epworth Sleepiness Scale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epworth_Sleepiness_Scale
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
This was THE test to determine if you needed further tests or treatment at one time. It is pretty useless to my mind as well, however be careful as it could be used by an insurance company to DENY treatment or testing. It is like the "Patient Summary Form" used in physical therapy where you indicate where the pain is - what the worst pain was, the average pain, is it worse (by how much) - all in 1 to 10 (or 6 or 4, depends on category). They add it up and determine if you should be treated, or conversely if #s are bad enough - not treated. All subjective things they try to reduce to an objective number score to use to allow or deny coverage by a clerk who can (maybe) read the total and has to exercise no judgment.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could also be used against you in a civil tort (like a traffic accident).
IANAL = I Am Not A Lawyer.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
All I'm really saying is when I saw my first sleep dr. I put a "0" for every doze question and he did a reg sleep study anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2016, 11:45 AM)harmon k Wrote: All I'm really saying is when I saw my first sleep dr. I put a "0" for every doze question and he did a reg sleep study anyway.

Why did you go to a sleep doctor?
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was waking up very tired every morn despite getting 8 hrs or so of sleep.

And I was wondering if any osa peeps here are like me, in that they never doze in situations?
Post Reply Post Reply
I never doze, so I too answered 0 on all those questions. When I'm tired/sleepy, I lay down (I'm disabled so no full time job here). The questions are standard-of-care although as you say don't exactly fit everybody. He even told me that the questionnaire was just busy work because there was clear reason to do a sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.