Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thoughts on my Auto Data?
RE: Thoughts on my Auto Data?
(03-21-2017, 11:59 PM)mymontreal Wrote: I'm guessing the 01:50am sleep time is related to the margaritas... hope they were good - my favorite is a "blue ginger" margarita...  Grin

Oh!  LOL I actually didn't drink last night. 

Since I started xPAP, I've been going to sleep earlier (around 11).  But I have some monumental stressors I'm needing to take care of, and last night I stayed up late working on some of them. At least I did moderately sleep-in this morning!  :-)

I've not had a blue ginger margarita. I like them clean and simple.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my latest and greatest. I'm curious if there's anything I should tweak. I've been using the P10s since April 15th-ish (instead of my preferred DreamWear).

My ears are constantly popping (but not pressurized) throughout the day, every day. It's not popping like relieving pressure, rather popping like maybe a clicking or passage of air. I don't have ear pain anymore (except some rare days), so that's good. But it sure would be nice to get rid of the popping all day long. My husband says maybe I should take a day off (from CPAP) once a week or so, to give my Eustachian tubes & ear drums a break, since (in his opinion) they seem to be fatigued. Honestly, as much as I love how CPAP makes me feel SO good, I'm tempted to try out his opinion, just to see if it could help get rid of the all-day ear popping.

I'd love to hear your opinion on the above ear thing, as well as if I should tweak any settings on my machine.

Here's a recent normal night:
[Image: s0zmGCB.png]

Here's a recent night with a higher AHI:
[Image: t7SK7gJ.png]

Here are my stats. The 1 night where I bumped the max pressure up to 16 was a night I was VERY sick, and was experimenting with masks (and trying to be able to breathe), so I bumped up the max to accommodate that need on the Amara View (which is my back-up mask for when I'm sick).
[Image: yJQRul9.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I have info from my sleep studies! I've learned enough here to re-read my sleep studies and better understand the reports.

I had NO centrals in either of them (initial, and titration).

I have PVC. My cardio is monitoring me, and isn't concerned.

Initial sleep study:
- My oxygen didn't go below 93.
- I had no restless legs.
- Most of my sleep disturbances were RERAs (33 in 4 hours of sleep: 22 arousal, 21 awakenings).
- My AHI was 16.2 while supine. (I primarily sleep supine because it makes my back feel better.)
- Longest duration of respiratory event was 31 seconds, with an average of 14.7 seconds.
- Mild snoring.

N1 4.5 minutes (1.6%)
N2 222 minutes (80.7%)
N3 20 minutes (7.3%)
R 28.5 minutes (10.4%)
(I don't know what the N and R are all about.)

Titration:
- They trialed me at pressures of 4-7.
- I had zero events at pressures 4, 5, and 7. Min oxygen was 95, mean of 97 at those 3 pressures.
- At 6 pressure, I had 2 hypopneas, and a min oxygen of 84, with a mean oxygen of 97.
- I had 0 RERAs.

N1 13.5 min (4.7%)
N2 177.6 min (61.4%
N3 57 min (19.7%)
R 41 min (14.2%)
Post Reply Post Reply
The Ns and R are sleep stages. Here's a description.

Stage N1 (NREM1) sleep is a transition period from being awake to falling asleep.  During this time you may have a sudden dream onset.  You are drifting off to sleep and may still feel aware of your surroundings and easily be aroused back to wakefulness.

From Stage N1, you will enter Stage N2 where your breathing and heart rate will begin to slow.  During the continuous sleep cycles throughout the night, we should spend about half of our sleep time in Stage N2.

Next comes Stage N3, sometimes referred to as Delta Sleep or slow wave sleep, because of the slow delta brain waves, which have been recorded during this sleep stage.  N3 sleep is a regenerative period where your body heals and repairs itself.  The first episode of Stage N3 lasts from 45-90 minutes.  Subsequent episodes of N3 sleep have shorter and shorter time periods as the night progresses.

N3 sleep decreases with age such that elderly people may have no measured N3 sleep at night.  This occurs in healthy sleepers and does not indicate a disorder or disease state in itself.

Stage R is referred to as REM sleep or “rapid eye movement” sleep.  The first REM sleep episode generally occurs after 90-110 minutes of sleep, cycling about every 90 minutes thereafter.  REM sleep periods tend to be longer later in the night.  Our heart and breathing rates increase and become irregular.  It is during REM sleep that we dream.  Many of us will remember dreams from the REM stage.  The body creates chemicals that render us temporarily paralyzed so that we do not act out our dreams. . In this stage, the brain is extremely active, and our eyes, although closed, dart back and forth as if we were awake.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, that's very interesting!

What's weird to me is that at my 1st sleep study, I felt like I got mostly N1 (according to those descriptions) for several HOURS... and yet my sleep study report said that I was in N1 for only 4.5 minutes.  Weird.
Post Reply Post Reply
as a novice, if It was my chart I'd raise my minimum up to the median pressure of around 7-8, to try and stop a few OA/H before they start. I would probably lift the max pressure, till I didn't reach the max setting and had some headspace left.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2017, 02:59 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I'd love to hear your opinion on the above ear thing, as well as if I should tweak any settings on my machine.
Your data looks good enough for me to say that you don't need to further tweak the pressure settings if you are waking up feeling rested and refreshed and feeling good during the day with enough energy to do what you want to do.

That said you also write"
Quote:My ears are constantly popping (but not pressurized) throughout the day, every day.  It's not popping like relieving pressure, rather popping like maybe a clicking or passage of air.  I don't have ear pain anymore (except some rare days), so that's good.  But it sure would be nice to get rid of the popping all day long.  
This one is a toughie. Have you informed the sleep doc's office about this problem? Any help from them?

Is the popping/clicking related to jaw movement? And do you have any TMJ problems?
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2017, 08:23 PM)robysue Wrote: This one is a toughie.  Have you informed the sleep doc's office about this problem?  Any help from them?

Is the popping/clicking related to jaw movement? And do you have any TMJ problems?

Well... I moved across the country.  And I wasn't planning to seek out another sleep dr, since my last/only experience was with a nincompoop who cared not-at-all about me as a patient and who didn't give any evidence that he even knew enough about sleep apnea and machines to even give any hope that [even if he wasn't hyper-focused on $ as the bottom line] he *could* provide any helpful advice or info.

So... I guess I'd be willing to find a sleep dr, IF I knew how to find a good one.

The popping is related to swallowing.

I don't have any diagnosed TMJ problem(s), but I think that's because my jaw doesn't click when I move it.  

I grew up with lots of ear infections, into early adulthood... until I eliminated dairy from my diet.  So I imagine my ear drums and other ear things could be weakened from that(?).
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2017, 07:53 PM)ajack Wrote: as a novice, if It was my chart I'd raise my minimum up to the median pressure of around 7-8, to try and stop a few OA/H before they start. I would probably lift the max pressure, till I didn't reach the max setting and had some headspace left.

As a novice myself, I agree with you.  I had it at 7 for a while, but I was having bad ear pain (every day, all day), so I lowered it to 6.

At that same time, I also changed my exhale relief setting from A-flex 2 to C-flex 1, just to see if that would help. That didn't appear to make any difference, so I moved it up to C-flex 2. 

Ultimately, moving pressure down to 6 (from 7) seems to have taken away the ear pain.  

But to experiment, I'll change it to 7, and see if the ear pain comes back... and if it does, I'll mess with the flex settings and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm hoping you can help me with something I've been noticing lately.

I notice that when I'm falling asleep, I sometimes feel my throat is closing... and I feel like I choke. It's not as bad as pre-xPAP days, but it's still a *thing*.

Last night, I specifically remember waking up twice due to it. That's annoying, and disruptive of my sleep.

So while my AHI might be nice, I'm still getting disturbed sleep that is truly disturbing me. Can you help?

(I lowered my flex to 1, and the ear stuff has pretty much gone away. And I'm enjoying the P10s for the quiet they provide.)

P.S. The pre-6am wake-up was due to needing to use the restroom since I drank a lot of water before I went to sleep.

[Image: FmfKwOJ.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 243 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,739 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,499 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  some thoughts after a few weeks? ifsmithy 39 1,556 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 830 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.