Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] exhaling thorugh pillows
RE: exhaling thorugh pillows
Try a larger size nasal pillow.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2017, 10:08 PM)confusedcpap Wrote: I have adjusted setting from nasal mask to nasal pillow, I have tried settings 1-3 on EPR, and I am still having a hard time exhaling through nasal pillows.  I have even cleaned the "exhale vents" and still the same problem.

That is a bit strange, have you got then to tight?
I use the FX pillows, and they are fine if you keep them just tight enough to stop leaks, however, If I tighten them more than that they restrict the amount of air.  Maybe if you have tried the EPR then there is a problem with your nose if you have tried a bigger size.
They should just rest against your nostrils and not go to far in, if they are to small they will tend to do this and restrict the flow.
I don't find it a problem even with one nostril blocked at the pressures I am at which is almost 12 now.  It has crept up due to slight leaks and the machine compensates until I move and it seals again.  Still getting green smiley face most mornings unless I knock the mask off altogether.

I can't remember what pressure you are at and what nasal pillows you are using?
I can't see why you are having a problem breathing out if:
You are using EPR.
Pillows are the right size.
Pressure is not very high.
Vents are clear.
Pillows are not to tight.
You are on AUTO APAP.
The hose is free and not kinked.

Do you feel the pressure drop when you are using Expiry Relief?
Do you hear the machine drop in speed/noise?  (It is quiet anyway, but if you listen closely it should change when you breath out).
If you are using the soft FX pillows, make sure one side has not collapsed or is flattened.

When I look up what you are using I will think half of this does not even apply Oh-jeez

Anyway, I am out of ideas   Thinking-about for now.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are using the Resmed Airfit P10 (you didn't say), try the next size larger nasal pillows. This often helps reduce exhale resistance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to use the P10s regularly  and on occasion would experience what you are describing.  My therapy consistently is around lower pressures and I found two things usually caused the sensation of exhale constriction:

1) too low starting pressure.  So I gradually increased minimum pressure over time until it was comfortable.  EPR at 1.
2) rainout or any condensation just short of rainout - make absolutely sure that you do not have any condensation in the short hose and the pillows,  otherwise you will feel constricted.  Rainout/condensation solutions include hose cover, increasing room temperature to reduce the ambient humidity in your sleeping environment, and setting climate-line tube to auto if you are using one.

Let us know how you fare.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,782 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 402 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 488 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 531 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Keep getting air bolus in mouth w nasal pillows Palmtrees 7 682 12-28-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.