Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Three weeks on cpap only partial success
RE: Three weeks on cpap only partial success
(09-16-2012, 11:00 AM)emamm Wrote: Two things are bothering me: the mask is causing some wound on the base and middle of my nose
Have tried Gecko nasal pad
[Image: gecko.jpg]

What mask are you using? It should not be too tight
It does help to wash mask every morning and have the cushion replaced regularly
Here is an excellent guide
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

Post Reply Post Reply
I have the resmed quattro fx and also the resmed quattro. I have an appointment with the sleep doc in two weeks. My last appointment, she just looked at the data on the machine and said that the ahi was great. I plan to print out the report next time to show her that my number is usually right around the minimum and ask about lowering it a bit
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2012, 07:30 PM)emamm Wrote: I world like to apologize to You all, specially Roxy, for using her thread to talk about my problems. I should have started a new thread. Sorry.

No need to apologize. Thread hijacking happens all the time here. I think it is something in the coffee. Laugh-a-lot
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2012, 08:09 PM)zonk Wrote:
(09-16-2012, 11:00 AM)emamm Wrote: Two things are bothering me: the mask is causing some wound on the base and middle of my nose
Have you tried Gecko nasal pad?
[Image: gecko.jpg]

Hi emamm,

Keep trying new masks and liners and pads until you find a combination which works best for you.

For a long time I had a sore where my Full Face mask pressed on my nose. I am a mouth breather (because of a deviated septum and other nose issues) so I must use a FF mask. Also, I have Marfan Syndrome, which is a genetic condition where my connective tissue (including skin) is weaker than normal, so I get sores extra easily.

What works best for me is the ResMed Mirage Quattro (adjusted to 20, which is full up, to reduce pressure on nose) plus the ResMed Gecko nasal pad to eliminate leaks around the eyes and nose.

Also, for those who need a FF mask but not high pressure (not higher than around 10, I suggest) and who can sleep on their back, they may want to try using the Respironics FitLife mask, which does not touch the nose at all. But it would be best to borrow one on a trial basis first, since some may find it doesn't work at all for them, especially if they are side sleepers. It can be used with pressures higher than 10, of course, but the the higher the pressure, the tighter the straps need to be, or else it would leak a lot around the circumference of the face. Even though my Auto machine will turn up the pressure higher than 10 whenever I'm on my back, since I only use it a few days at a time (only whenever my nose needs a short break) I can tighten the headgear straps as much as needed for those few days. By the way, if ordering the new Extra Large size of the Respironics FitLife mask, I would recommend using it with its Large size (rather than Extra Large size) headgear, because the Extra Large size headgear for the FitLife mask is crazy huge.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
What are realistic expectations? Is it realistic to expect to find a mask that you can put on and know that it will stay correctly and know that you will NOT have to readjust it during the night? The quatro fx is reasonably comfortable but I find that I have to readjust it about three times during the night. The reperonics amara just did not fit my face. Once the pressure got past 10, I was unable to get it to stop making those face fart sounds. The quatro with the forhead support was reasonably comfortable but I woke with a line accross the bridge of my nose. I tried the swift nasal pillow with a pap cap. I did pretty well with the combination for about two hours but then woke with the inside of my nose feeling irrated. Is that a common "side effect" of nasal pillows
Post Reply Post Reply
Each person's face is different and what works with one person will not work for another.

I went through a LOT of masks for the first three months or so. We just could not stop the leaking at the top of my nose which was causing major eye issues. I now use nasal pillows and love them.

Your pressures of 14-20 are at and above the range for nasal pillows. They tend to lift off the face and cause irritation due to the air being right there vs slightly buffered by the outside of the nose first. There are some nasal gels to assist with the drying. A lot of folks here use lanolin. I've used Ayr gel a few times.

As much as I love my mask, I wake up at least once a night to readjust it. It happens. I've never had a mask that I could sleep the entire night and not have to wake up. Except on those rare occasions where I lay down and don't move the rest of the night. But I usually fall right back to sleep. Over the years, I guess I've gotten used to it.

Finding the right mask and the right headgear is very difficult. Talk to the supplier about different headgear, especially if you find a mask you like but hate the headgear.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2012, 07:53 AM)Roxy Wrote: Once the pressure got past 10, I was unable to get it to stop making those face fart sounds.
See posts #7 and #11 about mask liners and nose pads
Nasal mask plus a chinstrap might work well enough ... You never know till you try
I've had the same problem with the Quattro and had to adjust the pressure to get some sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Roxy, I have to re-position my pillows mask throughout the night sometimes, it's just one of those things. I use HPA lanolin to keep my nose from getting irritated. I massage just a little bit in my nostriles, you can use a q-tip for that and it doesn't take much at all. Anyway, you can get it almost anywhere, just put HPA Lanolin into a search engine.
I switch back and forth between a "Mirage Activa LT," (which is a nasal mask,) and pillows and I have to re-position either mask, again, it's the nature of the beast, so to speak. I hope this helps you, best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Roxy, that Leakage rate of 94.8 for the 95th percentile in your ResScan data attachment jumped out at me as being rather high. Zonk described the red line max. shown by ResScan software, and your leak looks quite a bit higher. My understanding is that when significant leakage is present, it skews the AHI numbers (and perhaps others too), making them less accurate. As you no doubt gather, getting a mask that's comfortable and doesn't leak is our quest and goal.
For what it may be worth, I've been through nasal mask, ffm (Quattro) with and without chinstraps and with the Gecko nose pads without getting rid of serious nose bridge sores and mask leak problems. My particular solution was going to the Respironics FitLife which covers eyes, nose and mouth. Believe it or not, it's not more cumbersome than the FFM--actually better in that there is no visual obstruction of the mask frame just under the eyes. I solved the problem of this mask tending to leak across the forehead portion of its seal by a suggestion from a board member who uses a pencil sized roll of silicone across the top seal. My leakage with this combo is zero according to ResScan (as well as my ears) on something like 98 or 99% of all nights and nose sores are a thing of the past for me. But, this is just my solution. I guess each of us must find what works best for him/her. So, good luck on the quest!
Post Reply Post Reply
Even if everything is "right", eliminating apnea with CPAP is a big change in your metabolism. It sometimes takes a lot of time for your body and mind to get used to not being strangled over and over every night. It made a lot of adjustments to stay alive during the apneas. It's like stopping smoking or drinking in some ways.

Some people have "withdrawal," some feel better right away.

Of course, you may also have something wrong with your treatment that's disturbing you, too.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,614 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,901 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 321 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,488 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.