Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Throat closes during exhale
Throat closes during exhale
I just had a bronchoscopy today. The doctor informed me that my throat closes when I exhale. He said there is no medicine or surgery that will help. He said I need to learn to meditate. That is hard to do when you wake up from a sound sleep, unable to breathe. I have many illnesses, one is psoriatic arthritis, ankylison  spondylitis. I sleep in a recliner and I use a CPAP machine. There have been several times I've had to use a rescue inhaler to get any air. I even had to spend 5 days in a hospital, because I had carbon dioxide build up in my bloodstream from lack of oxygen. 
Does anyone else wake up from his/her throat closing during exhaling. I don't sleep well and part of that is fear of not waking.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Throat closes during exhale
I block on exhale, I just kept increasing my minimum pressure on my automatic till it stopped. Did he say what part of the throat closes, back of tongue. soft palate etc.
what model machine do you have? It should be written on it. It will help with any advice given
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
It would help to have more information on your CPAP machine and pressures.  Positive pressure can stent open an airway obstruction.  The idea of being prescribed meditation tells me you need a second opinion.  There are many reasons you could experience an inability to spontaneously initiate a breath at the end of exhale.  Some strategies that might help are to increase exhale pressure, provide more inhale pressure support, use bilevel or adaptive servo ventilation.  It's possible your doctor has a good background in the anatomy of the throat, but lacks the knowledge required to treat sleep apnea with the many options available.  

We need to know more about your current therapy, but I would also suggest investigating a doctor that has full accreditation from the
American Academy of Sleep Medicine that have a more disciplined background to finding a more effective solution than meditation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
a lot of us do actually have exhale resistance.  most of the machines measure something called flow limitation, and raise the pressure to reduce that.  but, the machine apparently only registers the flow limitation based on INHALE flow.  I have seen instances where registered flow limitation is zero, but the patient still complains that the airway collapses during exhale.

one solution is to set your minimum to the level you can tell you are not collapsing on exhale.  it is sort of a shot in the dark, because the parameters usually reported don't show you when you have adjusted correctly.

I will post a close up of an restricting exhale versus a normal exhale if I can find them, as an example. (by editing the post).

Hope you will be able to find some relief soon.  Getting SleepyHead or another software to visualize detailed flow may be a must to home in on best treatment.

Just going to ask this: does your throat close during exhale even when awake?

QAL

Update:
[Image: Stux9Y3.png]    [Image: kW6wPwL.png]    [Image: xRMVhSq.png]    [Image: 2z9h8RK.png]

raspy blocking exhale.                          constricted throat flow limitation on exhale.        inhale flow limitation with some snoring.           normal inhale and exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
My throat closes upon exhale as I'm falling asleep. What has helped me is:
- raising my minimum pressure (from 5, to 7)
- lowering the exhale pressure relief
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Eurotrekker,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you can get your health problems taken care of, good luck to you, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2017, 12:03 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: I will post a close up of an restricting exhale versus a normal exhale if I can find them, as an example. (by editing the post).

Thank You GREAT post

Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Thank you all. My throat does close sometimes when I'm awake, but mostly when sleeping. I go in for another sleep study next month. Maybe I'll get some answers then.  
I truly appreciate your responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just make sure that the study evaluates you while on CPAP. It could be that you have issues with positive pressure that are not present normally. It seems you should at least look into what pressures are being applied, and try to solve the problem through some adjustments. Otherwise, keep us posted next month.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 105 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 5,126 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 476 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 887 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 328 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
  RESMED F30i Mask causing pulsing on exhale HULK 1 622 09-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 570 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.