Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Throat obstruction when awake
RE: Throat obstruction when awake
Cheers will get on reading what you suggested.

"I get the same feelings when falling asleep that my airway is not secure, but for me, that feeling is eliminated with PAP pressure."

Do you mean PAP pressure helped eliminate it throughout the day or just when using PAP? Currently just over a week with my CPAP machine and I do feel better but I am not sure if it's solving the collapsing throat issue in the day.  Still need to get used to the machine though. I find myself subconsciously taking off the mask 2-4 hours into sleep so far. Good news is that I don't feel uncomfortable with the nasal mask, going to sleep is fine. 

I did the chair test and yes it's harder to breathe in and out once my chin is very close to my chest. No snoring. 

Is there something more sinister for this to suddenly occur? As I've never had it before 2 months ago. I accept that there is a chance that this has been gradually building up to an extent but after the massage table experience yesterday, it's feels like the severity of this issue has escalated very quickly. I tried realigning my neck and changing positions on the massage table, if I turned my head 45 degrees it was a lot better. It honestly feels like my tongue or passage way grew thicker all of the sudden or there is some painless inflammation in the throat. Because sometimes when I try to recreate the issue, it is fine. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2019, 07:55 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Velacooks, I think you might be experiencing the symptoms of what we often refer to as positional obstruction or apnea.  This can occur anytime your airway is not in alignment or there is pressure on the tissues at the back of the jaw or front of your throat.  See the article on Optimizing Therapy in my signature and read the section on Positional Apnea.  

You can verify whether or not this may be a problem.  Just get comfortable and sit and relax in your favorite chair.  As you relax, let you chin drop closer and closer to your chest.  Observe whether you feel restriction in your airway, a snore or more difficulty breathing in or out.  If so, then this explains why sometimes you feel this way when your head is propped on a pillow reading your iPad, or perhaps your head and neck are not aligned on the massage table or the cushions impinge on your throat.  I get the same feelings when falling asleep that my airway is not secure, but for me, that feeling is eliminated with PAP pressure.

I've done the reading but majority of the times i've experience obstruction was when I am lying flat without any head support and I am aware of the effects of chin tucking. e.g when I lie next to my kids when putting them to sleep and the massage chair. I don't know what triggers it as I've become quite aware of it after severely having breathing issues 2 days ago when lying down.  Tried to recreate it while taking an afternoon nap today and had no issues. 

I am not saying it isn't positional apnea but it doesn't entirely fit the bill if that makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2019, 03:07 PM)Velacook Wrote: I am not saying it isn't positional apnea but it doesn't entirely fit the bill if that makes sense.

We offer a diverse menu of options here. Pick and choose what works for you.   Okay
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,

"I get the same feelings when falling asleep that my airway is not secure, but for me, that feeling is eliminated with PAP pressure."

Do you mean PAP pressure helped eliminate it throughout the day or just when using PAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as I use positive pressure, I don't experience the "jolts" when falling to sleep, and I have no breathing issues while awake.  If you feel it's hard to catch a breath sometimes, it might be related to a swallowing issue or post-nasal drip.  Just a thought.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2019, 02:16 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: As long as I use positive pressure, I don't experience the "jolts" when falling to sleep, and I have no breathing issues while awake.  If you feel it's hard to catch a breath sometimes, it might be related to a swallowing issue or post-nasal drip.  Just a thought.

I told the ENT about post nasal issues. On antihistamines and steroid sprays. No improvements. 

Talked to cpap provider today. My resmed airsense has kept saying my usage is always under 3 hours with zero leaks. I''ve twice now kept the mask on the whole night. So might have to switch out my machine sadly.
Post Reply Post Reply
What mask are you using?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2019, 04:50 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What mask are you using?

Resmed p10 Nasal mask
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 671 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,764 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 718 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 312 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
Video Throat vibration -- is this usual? Clarke40 0 481 09-10-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Clarke40
  [Pressure] High pressure at midnight causing awake makazaik 5 667 08-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: jwest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.