Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Throbbing sensation behind the left ear, might be waking me
Throbbing sensation behind the left ear, might be waking me
Lately I've been experiencing this very weird sensation in my head located in an area behind my left ear. It only happens occasionally and just recently. But it seems to only happen during the night while using bipap machine. More towards the morning before waking, so after a while of bipap usage. 
It's a pulsing throb, where I am experiencing a rush of blood in rhythm with the beating of my heart. 
I did some google searching and the only conclusion I can figure is that it's some kind of headache/migraine. 
Has anyone experienced this or know anything about it? 
I can feel the rushing of the blood and even hear it. It scared the crap out of me a couple weeks ago when I first experienced it. It's happened several times since. And last night, it was slight and reminded me I should look into it further.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Throbbing sensation behind the left ear, might be waking me
I have not experienced it, but if it persists you might want to have an ear exam to eliminate the possibility of infection or wax buildup. Are you able to equalize pressure by increasing pressure to the eustachian tubes?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope, I didn't realize it could possibly be an ear problem. But I guess, it really doesn't seem to be ear related. It's like there's a major artery that is pulsing so hard I can feel it and hear it. The sound is of rushing blood and it's really loud. It's behind the ear, a little more towards the base of the skull but not on the neck area. It's right between the area of the ear and the neck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go see an ENT sooner rather than later. Pulsile tinnitus can be harmless but it can also indicate a variety of issues that become much more complex to treat over time. I have first hand experience with this and ended up needing invasive ear surgery because I waited too long. I very much wish I had gotten it checked out sooner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys for the feedback. Ya, it's rather strange and needs checked out. 
I'm gonna break from bipap to see if it reoccurs or not without.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with everything above.

Time to see the Docs. General practitioner/PCP and then ENT referral. Without wanting to be alarmist, the major artery you are talking about is called the Carotid artery, one branch goes to the face/jaw etc, the other goes to the brain and runs right next to the inner ear structures (sometimes through them) and can contribute to these symptoms. Pulsatile tinnitus needs ENT assessment, not just GP or PCP. Once you are given the all clear you can focus on which settings of the machine, posture, sleep position etc might be contributory factors. Do keep us informed!
Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_FRWUPcR7Y
Post Reply Post Reply
I have bruxism and I clinch my teeth at night, and this is not good for the auditory system due to the jaw joint being near the auditory system. This causes tinnitus, and I did experience pulsatile tinnitus at one point. This was when I started on new blood pressure meds and thought it was the meds causing it, but in reality it was due to the clinching with a mouth guard that wasn't right for me. If you can feel some discomfort, tenderness, pain in the jaw area after you wake up, this is likely it. Teeth clinching works your temple muscles hard. You can feel it in the morning if you clinched hard.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2022, 07:57 AM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: I have bruxism and I clinch my teeth at night, and this is not good for the auditory system due to the jaw joint being near the auditory system.  This causes tinnitus, and I did experience pulsatile tinnitus  at one point.  This was  when I started on new blood pressure meds and thought it was the meds causing it, but in reality it was due to the clinching with a mouth guard that wasn't right for me.  If you can feel some discomfort, tenderness, pain in the jaw area after  you wake up, this is likely it.  Teeth clinching works your temple muscles hard.  You can feel it in the morning if you clinched hard.

That's interesting. I do sleep with a chin strap. I wonder if I'm getting it too tight. I haven't used my machine this weekend and haven't had any of that experience. I dunno how long I can hold out without my machine, but I'm going to give it a couple more days, then try without a chin strap at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
To post back some updated information.

I am still trying to see an ENT. It's pretty difficult to get in anytime soon. But I was able to get in to see a cardiologist and I am scheduled to wear a cardiac event monitor.
So far, it's still a mystery as to what's happening after this visit. Maybe after the recordings are viewed something will turn up.
I am still going to try and see an ENT. The particular one I want to see is unbelievably difficult to get a hold of.
I'll update again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 280 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 155 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 388 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 256 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 190 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 302 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.