Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thumb Sucking and CPAP user
RE: Thumb Sucking and CPAP user
(04-26-2017, 04:59 PM)lazurm Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 02:41 PM)I think, though, that an adult pacifier is more reliable (especially for the great majority of adults who don\t suck their thumb) because it Wrote: That act of sucking makes it nearly impossible to have a leak from the mouth when using nasal pillow.  I'm not going to judge you or recommend anyone take up the habit, but you're certainly not alone.  An internet search of "adult thumb sucking" returns countless results.

Interesting! Just sitting here watching my Granddaughter sleep with her pacifier. Never paid much attention prior to reading this thread, but here's what I'm seeing:

She doesn't suck on it continually, but it's just sitting in her mouth which is slightly open. Air is escaping from her mouth.
When she starts to suck on it, her mouth closes around it, and she is then breathing through her nose.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I now have some unscientific data. When the pacifier popped out my leakage score was 13, twice so far. With it in through the night, my score was a perfect 20, almost every night. Perhaps this fix ought to be better known.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, now that I have some time with this pacifier set-up the only "negative" is that my upper teeth have moved forward 1.8 millimeters, according to my dentist. I figured this may be happening because I noticed that my uppers don't connect or bang into my lowers as they would sometimes do previously. Technically this is good but my dentist said that there's a possibility that this may continue, though at a different rate. So far, though, at this point I'm totally OK with it and there's absolutely no noticeable affect visually. Until then, it's completely worth it for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Lazurm!  

Good for you for posting on a topic that probably a lot of people would be too embarrassed to bring up themselves.  This may help others who are having similar issues with either the need to 'thumb suck' or nightly mouth leaks.  

I hope you get it all sorted out soon and can have some really good quality CPAP therapy!!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
The pacifier should not be recommended as any solution. Everybody knew the toddler with the messed up teeth sleeps with the pacifier and the 3 year old with good teeth doesnt. Fortunately kids get a second chance on teeth.

The OP teeth movement of 1.8mm is the equivalent of 50 yards in a football game. It is huge. Fortunately it seems to have helped him but another 1.8mm and the game is over.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2017, 06:29 AM)heov Wrote: The pacifier should not be recommended as any solution.   Everybody knew the toddler with the messed up teeth sleeps with the pacifier and the 3 year old with good teeth doesnt.  Fortunately kids get a second chance on teeth.

The OP teeth movement of 1.8mm is the equivalent of 50 yards in a football game.  It is huge.
Fortunately it seems to have helped him but another 1.8mm and the game is over.

No one ever recommended the pacifier as a solution.  We all have free will and as long as the OP is watched by his dentist and is aware of any negative affects, then that's his decision.

Just to let you know, that my 2 1/2 yr. old granddaughter, who uses a pacifier only to fall asleep, has been to the dentist for a checkup, and we were told she has perfect baby teeth.  
On the other hand, when my daughter was that age, who "never" used a pacifier, had horrible teeth.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2017, 06:29 AM)I think a lot depends on the individual\s point of view, though I'm curious how you determined your football analogy. For me, even if my teeth moved another 1.8 mm, I'd be totally OK with it as a good night's sleep is worth it. Apparently it's my body's way of adapting in a way that promises more comfort, or a better fit, etc. Better fit equals a better sleep and a continuance of air leak prevention as far as I see it. Again, for me. In any case, I will see how it goes over time. Also, what do you mean (specifically) by "game is over"? How so?

heov Wrote:
The pacifier should not be recommended as any solution.   Everybody knew the toddler with the messed up teeth sleeps with the pacifier and the 3 year old with good teeth doesnt.  Fortunately kids get a second chance on teeth.

The OP teeth movement of 1.8mm is the equivalent of 50 yards in a football game.  It is huge.  Fortunately it seems to have helped him but another 1.8mm and the game is over.
Post Reply Post Reply
You run the risk of changing your bite... sudden changes in bite can be very painful on your teeth and jaw.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2017, 11:55 PM)I dont think the change I experienced was "sudden" as it took months and it's very small. I also don't notice any pain but, in fact, since my upper teeth are no longer hitting my lowers, it actually seems to be an improvement, at least for me so far. My criteria for concern would be if my upper teeth moved in any obviously noticeable way, like another 4 or 5 mm. I'd guess, though, that if they did move in that respect they'd have increasingly reduced pressure on them as they would be moving to merely accommodate the new forces, where they MAY reach a state of equilibrium. The good news, for me, is that it completely eliminated any air leakage, with rare exceptions (occurring when I may awaken in the middle of the night and bump into my setup in some manner.)  heov Wrote: You run the risk of changing your bite... sudden changes in bite can be very painful on your teeth and jaw.
Post Reply Post Reply
Still using the pacifier, and now I don't need a chinstrap since changing to this one:

[commercial link removed, instead, do a Google search for "Cuddlz Baby Blue Bear Patterned Adult Pacifier"]

I haven't measured the movement but it feels like I may still have slight movement again, based on how it feels when I move my lower jaw forward; there seems to be more room to do so before my lowers hit my uppers. A couple of my friends noticed a change but it's really VERY slight and, for me, well worth it. In fact, I think it allowed me to finally never need the chinstrap which I used to use to make sure the pacifier wouldn't pop out. Now it stays in as, I think, my occlusion may be a better fit.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 24 450 46 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Sucking in on bilevel ahuman 9 175 03-19-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: ahuman
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,490 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,044 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,593 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.