Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thumb Sucking and CPAP user
Thumb Sucking and CPAP user
For those who are, maybe, too shy about posting this....

If you suck your thumb while sleeping a CPAP machine is an issue. I've solved the problem by using a nasal pillow and chin strap. But I found out that using an adult sized pacifier with the nasal pillow and chin strap is a very workable alternative.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Thumb Sucking and CPAP user
I bet that works to prevent mouth leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the exact same thought!  That is a solution that I have not heard before.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, based on the data sent by the CPAP machine, there were no leaks. I'm not sure, though, how it'd be without the pacifier but, if I try it, my thumb goes in automatically while I sleep.

Prior to obtaining the CPAP I had research the net extensively and there's virtually nothing on the topic, so the info here is unique in that sense. That's the main reason I'm sharing it as I know that at least 1% of adult males suck their thumb, and probably it's a slightly higher percentage. Surely there must be those who, though having this issue, are too shy to express it.
Post Reply Post Reply
That act of sucking makes it nearly impossible to have a leak from the mouth when using nasal pillow. I'm not going to judge you or recommend anyone take up the habit, but you're certainly not alone. An internet search of "adult thumb sucking" returns countless results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No need to be shy, I sucked my thumb until, I forget.  High school maybe?  And I wet the bed regularly until I started on CPAP. That is more embarrassing and inconvenient. CPAP stopped that, happily.

I am liking this idea a lot.  It seems a lot better than taping your mouth shut that some people have resorted to.  Safer too!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2017, 02:41 PM)I think, though, that an adult pacifier is more reliable (especially for the great majority of adults who don\t suck their thumb) because it's a lot less likely to leave one's mouth overnight, especially if there's a chin strap attached with mild pressure. I'm actually a bit surprised that little has been written about this as it's well known that a form of an adult "pacifier" exists that promises to deal with sleep apnea, though reliable data isn't available. This device looks like a pacifier but actually isn't in that one's tongue is meant to be vacuum sealed into it and there are many reports that it isn't very successful.My experience with an adult pacifier, made from silicone, and at the correct size, along with mild chin strap pressure absolutely works for me. I think it's even better than my thumb because I think I occasionally put my thumb in and out during the night (though I'm not completely sure about this). If a pacifier falls out during the night, it stays out, and this hasn't happened. I don't have experience with the latex version of adult pacifiers but I tend to think they aren't as good, being too soft and prone to deterioration, wear and allergy sensitivity. Sleeprider Wrote: That act of sucking makes it nearly impossible to have a leak from the mouth when using nasal pillow.  I'm not going to judge you or recommend anyone take up the habit, but you're certainly not alone.  An internet search of "adult thumb sucking" returns countless results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lazurm,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
boxer/ football type mouth guard will make it impossible to get the thumb in
or get one from the dentist that helps hold the mouth and tongue from causing problems as well
Post Reply Post Reply
But the mouth guard won't promote the sucking action that causes the tongue-seal needed to prevent mouth/lip leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 391 21 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Sucking in on bilevel ahuman 9 174 03-19-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: ahuman
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,473 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,036 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.