Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thyroid Disease and CPAP Question - Need Thyroid Experts
Wink 
Thyroid Disease and CPAP Question - Need Thyroid Experts
I am currently doing my CPAP titration and the CPAP is working miracles for me. I feel like I am coming back from the dead.

I have Hashimoto's disease and a swollen thyroid (goiter)

The CPAP pressure is irritating my goiter and my throat feels swollen and a bit sore. I'm a little worried about my throat swelling shut...I live alone and it is a very scary thought.

The CPAP feels like it is saving my life and I am wondering if I should get my thyroid removed so that I can keep using the CPAP. What are my options?

I have been very sick for many years and the CPAP has helped me more than anything I have tried. I would love to hear some feedback - I see the Respirologist in about 2 weeks.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Thyroid Disease and CPAP Question - Need Thyroid Experts
I had my thyroid removed for goiter. I know my apnea was much worse before I did that from my husband's reports of snoring and struggling to breathe. My thyroid was making enough hormone, and I was negative for Hashimoto's antibodies (or graves) my antibody levels are overall low so those findings may be spurious. It was a multinodular mess with cold and hot spots and no one really knows what happened. I have a hypothesis, but can't prove it...

My goiter got big enough to displace the trachea - I wonder how that affected my current level of apnea... I have no idea whether the trachea went back to its normal position or not.

I had the right half removed in 1999. They removed 34 grams; at that time the left was only marginally large. In 2010, they removed the 94 grams that was the remainder of my now very oversized left lobe and the isthmus. They wanted to remove the whole thing in 1999 and I wish I had let them!!!!!! (where is the donkey emoticon???) It was so much easier to heal the first time.

Since removal, my thyroid levels *feel* more right. Contrary to my fears, my body seems to be able to use the synthetic hormones (Synthroid) *better* than it did the natural ones -- the hormones my sick gland was putting out were somehow wrong - leaving me with symptoms of both hypo and hyperthyroid.

There is no cure for goiter. Depending on the makeup of the goiter (fluid filled cysts, adenomatous tissue, etc) it can be temporarily deflated by removing fluid, but it would just return. They've had limited success shrinking goiters with thyroxine supplement or with radiation, but IMO both of these are actually more problematic than surgery.

Depending on the size of the gland, given your relatively low AHI, it is actually possible that you would not need CPAP after surgery. Surgeons consider thyroid surgery to be no big deal. (arrogant bastiches....)
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 02:36 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I had my thyroid removed for goiter. I know my apnea was much worse before I did that from my husband's reports of snoring and struggling to breathe. My thyroid was making enough hormone, and I was negative for Hashimoto's antibodies (or graves) my antibody levels are overall low so those findings may be spurious. It was a multinodular mess with cold and hot spots and no one really knows what happened. I have a hypothesis, but can't prove it...

My goiter got big enough to displace the trachea - I wonder how that affected my current level of apnea... I have no idea whether the trachea went back to its normal position or not.

I had the right half removed in 1999. They removed 34 grams; at that time the left was only marginally large. In 2010, they removed the 94 grams that was the remainder of my now very oversized left lobe and the isthmus. They wanted to remove the whole thing in 1999 and I wish I had let them!!!!!! (where is the donkey emoticon???) It was so much easier to heal the first time.

Since removal, my thyroid levels *feel* more right. Contrary to my fears, my body seems to be able to use the synthetic hormones (Synthroid) *better* than it did the natural ones -- the hormones my sick gland was putting out were somehow wrong - leaving me with symptoms of both hypo and hyperthyroid.

There is no cure for goiter. Depending on the makeup of the goiter (fluid filled cysts, adenomatous tissue, etc) it can be temporarily deflated by removing fluid, but it would just return. They've had limited success shrinking goiters with thyroxine supplement or with radiation, but IMO both of these are actually more problematic than surgery.

Depending on the size of the gland, given your relatively low AHI, it is actually possible that you would not need CPAP after surgery. Surgeons consider thyroid surgery to be no big deal. (arrogant bastiches....)

Thanks Daria - I really appreciate your feedback Smile I totally agree with your hypothesis.

I feel strongly that my goiter has caused or contributed greatly to my sleep apnea and I feel like I am finally getting to the bottom of my health problems.

I was on a thyroid disease forum and people were warning me not to remove my thyroid because I could feel worse. What could be worse than struggling to breathe at night?

Do you think a thyroidectomy is a good idea for my situation? Why do some people tell me I may regret it?

*I also want to mention that I have been taking Synthroid for 6 years and my goiter has shrunk a bit - but it will never be totally gone.

Post Reply Post Reply
The main reasons for not having it removed are
- that some people seem to have a lot of trouble using the synthetic t4 which is all the insurance companies would cover (this is changing). many are sold on Armour pig thyroid which contains whole thyroid and not just T4. If your liver is working, it will convert the necessary T4 to T3 (usable hormone) as you need it and that is truly the best and safest way to get T3 IMO

- after removal, you are now dependent on pharmaceuticals to stay alive.

I made the decisions to have mine out. I wish I had gone ahead and done it sooner - I could have saved myself a decade of unstable hormone levels!
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 03:12 PM)DariaVader Wrote: The main reasons for not having it removed are
- that some people seem to have a lot of trouble using the synthetic t4 which is all the insurance companies would cover (this is changing). many are sold on Armour pig thyroid which contains whole thyroid and not just T4. If your liver is working, it will convert the necessary T4 to T3 (usable hormone) as you need it and that is truly the best and safest way to get T3 IMO

- after removal, you are now dependent on pharmaceuticals to stay alive.

I made the decisions to have mine out. I wish I had gone ahead and done it sooner - I could have saved myself a decade of unstable hormone levels!

I am already dependent on pharmaceuticals to stay alive. I will ask the Dr. about this in two weeks.

I'm afraid that I am going to have to fight for them to take my thyroid out Sad

If anyone else has any feedback - I would like to hear it. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Goiters do not diminish in size on their own. They only get bigger, some slowly, some more rapidly. Goiters take up space and press on important things, especially the trachea, as well as displacing the tongue upwards. If one is feeling the physical displacement effects of a goiter, it is generally better to have it removed.

As far as being dependent on medication, look at it like diabetes. Everyone with adult onset DM (type II) starts on insulin, if they live long enough. I've been insulin dependent for 10 years, and I've travelled over much of the globe during that time. In retrospect, I should have started insulin a year earlier than I did. My insulin goes with me everywhere. Look at your thyroid medication in the same way. Or your CPAP, for that matter; my machine has travelled with me for a decade, and I just recently purchased a small CPAP just for travel alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2015, 06:05 PM)Stiffdoc Wrote: Goiters do not diminish in size on their own. They only get bigger, some slowly, some more rapidly. Goiters take up space and press on important things, especially the trachea, as well as displacing the tongue upwards. If one is feeling the physical displacement effects of a goiter, it is generally better to have it removed.

As far as being dependent on medication, look at it like diabetes. Everyone with adult onset DM (type II) starts on insulin, if they live long enough. I've been insulin dependent for 10 years, and I've travelled over much of the globe during that time. In retrospect, I should have started insulin a year earlier than I did. My insulin goes with me everywhere. Look at your thyroid medication in the same way. Or your CPAP, for that matter; my machine has travelled with me for a decade, and I just recently purchased a small CPAP just for travel alone.

Thanks for the feedback. Smile It's funny you say this because I am starting to lose my voice - The CPAP is making it worse.

I also feel that my tongue is large and displaced.

I feel like the doctors aren't listening to me when I tell them how bad it is. They know it is chronically inflamed but don't want to remove it.

I can't live without the CPAP - so my thyroid is going to have to go! I'm not sure how I will convince them Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
I too have Hashimoto's. My thyroid does do something if not quite enough and so I have been reluctant to mess with it. I am now totally supplied by Synthroid but I won't die right away if I cannot get it. As I once (and hopefully again) lived aboard and cruised a sailboat I am willing to put up with the downside. Sort of like a life jacket. I probably won't need one but is nice to know is available. Were this not the case I'm sure I would have it removed as definitely causes problems swallowing and breathing. Now that I am thinking about it it is really bothering me Too-funny

I wish you well. Smile
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2015, 08:28 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I too have Hashimoto's. My thyroid does do something if not quite enough and so I have been reluctant to mess with it. I am now totally supplied by Synthroid but I won't die right away if I cannot get it. As I once (and hopefully again) lived aboard and cruised a sailboat I am willing to put up with the downside. Sort of like a life jacket. I probably won't need one but is nice to know is available. Were this not the case I'm sure I would have it removed as definitely causes problems swallowing and breathing. Now that I am thinking about it it is really bothering me Too-funny

I wish you well. Smile

Hi Smile Do you have goiter? Does the CPAP irritate your thyroid?
Post Reply Post Reply
nothing really visable but yes nodules and some constriction. CPAP doesn't cause any issues other than motorboat mouth
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 1,007 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 316 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 522 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 435 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 1,025 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Question about reliability of the CPAP data zynsa 4 684 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zynsa
  When UARS Is Lung Disease? Lung experts? Apnea23 25 1,832 07-06-2023, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Apnea23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.