Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thyroid Troubles
RE: Thyroid Troubles
I'm wondering if advocating a higher salt/sodium intake is wise based on the fact that a large percentage of us CPAPer's have hypertension and of course too much sodium is bad for that.

Also Player FWIW I had Graves disease for the better part of a year or more before I knew something was really wrong. Another possibility for you? I got out of breath going up one flight of stairs, my heart was beating quite quickly, and I was trembling a bit which slowly kept getting worse until I couldn't even sign my name (and other symptoms that I won't go into now lol). That's when I finally went to the doctor. I have since been treated with radioactive iodine to 'nuke' my thyroid and am on meds for life.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 06:53 AM)cate1898 Wrote: I'm wondering if advocating a higher salt/sodium intake is wise based on the fact that a large percentage of us CPAPer's have hypertension and of course too much sodium is bad for that.

Also Player FWIW I had Graves disease for the better part of a year or more before I knew something was really wrong. Another possibility for you? I got out of breath going up one flight of stairs, my heart was beating quite quickly, and I was trembling a bit which slowly kept getting worse until I couldn't even sign my name (and other symptoms that I won't go into now lol). That's when I finally went to the doctor. I have since been treated with radioactive iodine to 'nuke' my thyroid and am on meds for life.

I wouldn't think Graves disease with TSH of 5.3 and 7. It's not impossible, of course, but not likely
Post Reply Post Reply
I did a 3rd blood test for TSH, T3 andT4. My regular GP is back and called with results. My TSH is up from the last to around 6.5. The T3 was normal and Ontario health coverage refused the T4. They apparently feel the T4 is useless so they stopped covering it. My doc has prescribed Syntharoid synthetic hormone. I don't know the dose yet. He said I don't have Hashimotos but I am not sure how he determined this.

I also have psoriasis and have read it may get better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 04:30 PM)DariaVader Wrote: For starters, lack of restful sleep is a stressor and as such contributes to autoimmune. There is correlation between hashis and apnea but causation is not established. There is also a correlation between low D and both conditions. Your goiter may also have contributed.

Yes, and the apnea and Hashimotos started around the same time - many years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
You all have inflammation in your body.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 11:44 AM)Lazer1234 Wrote: You all have inflammation in your body.

Yes, I am in pain all the time

I think there is something to this:

http://daig-net.de/site-content/die-daig....9/570.pdf

http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/10.1...hQBI6TPmyA

Post Reply Post Reply
I started taking Curcumin and it has removed all my stiffness.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 10:44 AM)player Wrote: I did a 3rd blood test for TSH, T3 andT4. My regular GP is back and called with results. My TSH is up from the last to around 6.5. The T3 was normal and Ontario health coverage refused the T4. They apparently feel the T4 is useless so they stopped covering it. My doc has prescribed Syntharoid synthetic hormone. I don't know the dose yet. He said I don't have Hashimotos but I am not sure how he determined this.

Glad they are treating you, finally. Do you know if they did antibody tests? That might be how he determined you don't have Hashimoto's. My thyroid antibodies came back so high that they just gave me a > number (>3000, >2000).

Most insurance considers the T3 to be worthless, so I'm surprised they don't cover the T4 and do cover the T3. Guess that's a perfect illustration of why it's hard to get good thyroid care sometimes.

Hoping you feel better soon.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2015, 02:26 AM)player Wrote: I started taking Curcumin and it has removed all my stiffness.

I just started taking Curcumin as well - it really helps! I wish I had known about it years ago.

May I ask which brand you are taking? I've been taking the AOR active version and I'm hoping to find something a little less expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2015, 10:44 AM)player Wrote: I did a 3rd blood test for TSH, T3 andT4. My regular GP is back and called with results. My TSH is up from the last to around 6.5. The T3 was normal and Ontario health coverage refused the T4. They apparently feel the T4 is useless so they stopped covering it. My doc has prescribed Syntharoid synthetic hormone. I don't know the dose yet. He said I don't have Hashimotos but I am not sure how he determined this.

There is T4 test (worthless) and then the much more instructive test for FREE T4... It may be that your doc did not query the correct test code. When Hashimoto's has been ruled out (neg antibodies) a thyroid panel (TSH, Free t4, T3) is needed to ascertain the source of the problem, along with an iodine uptake scan to see why the gland is not functioning. There are other types of thyroiditis, adenomatous multinodular goiter, cancer, and a host of other things that need to be ruled out when the most common cause (Hashi's) is ruled out. I would encourage you to see a good endocrinologist.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 830 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01
Question [CPAP] AirTouch F20 troubles - nose pillows better? but I snore..chinstrap? Lilaq88 5 853 07-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Having some troubles.... [A10 noise] jim.evo 7 1,760 10-13-2018, 11:58 AM
Last Post: jim.evo
  Day 2 and having troubles rich2905 10 2,784 08-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Last Post: icyura10
  New bipap machine troubles robotman 16 3,842 04-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Last Post: robotman
Wink Thyroid Disease and CPAP Question - Need Thyroid Experts linn 17 4,842 11-19-2015, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Terry
  [Equipment] DME troubles Adoniscmj 10 4,385 06-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.