Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tidal Volume Acceptable Range
Question 
Tidal Volume Acceptable Range
Just found another thread that may address my question... will read it and see. Thanks!

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...idal-Volum

"While sleeping, what would be an acceptable range for Tidal Volume? Thank you."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tidal Volume Acceptable Range
I think I've read (in the forum) that it should be >400.  What is yours, and how do you feel?

(Just saw your update.  Still hope you'll answer my questions.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2018, 11:04 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: I think I've read (in the forum) that it should be >400.  What is yours, and how do you feel?

(Just saw your update.  Still hope you'll answer my questions.)

Last night: med 320 and 95% 400
Good night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tidal volume is based on the patient weight and height.  This number is speculative, basing the values on a healthy person.   Age and life history (e.g.: smoking, residual environmental conditions) will play a part in this calculation as well.   A chart calculator does exist, but I'm unable to find it as of this post.

Here is a basic description on how  to calculate tidal volume:

Calculate the ideal body weight using the Devine Formula. For males, the formula is 50 plus 2.3, times the product of height in inches minus 60. For females, it is 45.5 plus 2.3, times the product of height in inches minus 60. Various other formulas are available, however the Devine formula is the one consistently used in pulmonary research and applications.

Calculate the tidal volume by multiplying 12 ml by the ideal body weight in kg. Keep in mind that this is not a physiologic determination of tidal volume--only an estimation. This formula is for someone who is resting comfortably and in excellent health. For patients with asthma or emphysema, multiply 10 ml by the ideal body weight. Critically ill patients in the intensive care unit have even a lower tidal volume of 8 ml/kg.

Note: Your 95% will be closer to the actual. I would suggest that you look at this value on the Overview screen, above the bar chart, to obtain a multi-day representation.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2018, 09:18 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Tidal volume is based on the patient weight and height.  This number is speculative, basing the values on a healthy person.   Age and life history (e.g.: smoking, residual environmental conditions) will play a part in this calculation as well.   A chart calculator does exist, but I'm unable to find it as of this post.

Calculate the ideal body weight using the Devine Formula. For males, the formula is 50 plus 2.3, times the product of height in inches minus 60. For females, it is 45.5 plus 2.3, times the product of height in inches minus 60. Various other formulas are available, however the Devine formula is the one consistently used in pulmonary research and applications.

Calculate the tidal volume by multiplying 12 ml by the ideal body weight in kg. Keep in mind that this is not a physiologic determination of tidal volume--only an estimation. This formula is for someone who is resting comfortably and in excellent health. For patients with asthma or emphysema, multiply 10 ml by the ideal body weight. Critically ill patients in the intensive care unit have even a lower tidal volume of 8 ml/kg.

Note: Your 95% will be closer to the actual.  I would suggest that you look at this value on the Overview screen, above the bar chart,  to obtain a multi-day representation.

Good Luck!

Thanks you, CN. My average 95% Tidal Volume is 440 and if I calculated correctly, the Tidal Volume for a 5'5" female with an ideal weight of 125 lbs. Too-funny would be about 680.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would caution you to take the calculated tidal volume with skepticism.  I can't find how these values were determined.  Look at the bright side, your are breathing, hopefully you don't feel short of breath, and you're able to wake up the next day.   Sleep-well
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your 95% tidal volume is 440ml your fine. Your medium tidal volume should be between 340-400ml. This is based on your height and ideal weight. I was using the respiratory rates of 6kg/ml to 7 kg/ml which what is normal for most people.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2018, 07:23 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: If your 95% tidal volume is 440ml your fine. Your medium tidal volume should be between 340-400ml. This is based on your height and ideal weight. I was using the respiratory rates of 6kg/ml to 7 kg/ml which what is normal for most people.

My average medium is 320... so I'm close. Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
The numbers I gave are not hard and fast rules. being 20ml off means nothing. It's still normal. Now if it was 200ml I'd be concerned.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2018, 09:18 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Tidal volume is based on the patient weight and height.  This number is speculative, basing the values on a healthy person.   Age and life history (e.g.: smoking, residual environmental conditions) will play a part in this calculation as well.   A chart calculator does exist, but I'm unable to find it as of this post.

Note: Your 95% will be closer to the actual.  I would suggest that you look at this value on the Overview screen, above the bar chart,  to obtain a multi-day representation.

Good Luck!
I just read this thread and saw you mentioned your 95% would be close to your ideal tidal volume. Why is that? I'm curious as I have been looking at tidal volume lately. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 463 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  High Tidal Volume Bartman66 4 407 01-16-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What should my pressure range be? tomkelly 4 421 01-09-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.