Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Dreamstation BiPAP not heating
[split] Dreamstation BiPAP not heating
Don't know if this is the appropriate place - I'm just a new member. About a month ago, I received a P-R DreamStation Auto BiPAP to replace my P-R System 1 Auto BiPAP, which I had used for about 7 years. It is quieter than the S1. 

My complaint with the DreamStation (DS) is that the heater plate for the humidifier doesn't work correctly. The DS humidifier has two heating modes: Adaptive and Fixed. The Adaptive adjusts the heat according to the ambient temperature - more heat when it is colder and less heat when warmer. The Fixed allows the user to select from several fixed levels of heat. After a night's use, in either mode, I could feel no heat. The humidifier was utilized with two different DS main modules with the same results. There was little or no heat, so I suspected the humidifier.

I took the DS to the DME. The tech turned the unit on, disconnected the 6' air delivery hose. and put a hand over the air output port. In a few seconds, it got hot! That showed the humidifier can get hot. The DME tech gave back the DS without offering any other help.

Now, I think there is a problem with the DS main module. There must be an airflow sensor that can stop power to the humidifier. Anyway, I went to P-R's  website's and to "Contact us". I'm waiting for a reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Dreamstation BiPAP not heating
The humidifier doesn't really act like a heater. It heats the water just enough to add humidity to the air as it passes over it. Normally if you want heat your going to get that from the heated hose. Though it's primary purpose is to prevent the water vapor from condensation it can also warm the air up. Are you using a heated hose? If not you might want to pick one up. If you do have a heated hose check the connections on the hose.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Dreamstation BiPAP not heating
It could be that the room just is not cold enough to turn on the plate in "Adaptive"
Try disconnecting the hose, change to "fixed" , then pre heat a few minutes. 
Turn on and feel with  your hand if any heated air is blowing.

Give it a try, good luck.

Dan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 116 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 6 7,039 03-30-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Ron LI
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 115 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 373 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 571 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 312 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 428 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.