Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tidal Volume Yep I searched but
RE: Tidal Volume Yep I searched but
Thanks for all the responses. Helped me very much. Im still a bit puzzled by the wave form tops and bottoms only going to +22 and -22 when they always reached 26 before but that could be the software also.

Encorebasic doesnt show tidal volumes that I can find, though it does show a wave form report which from what I can tell doesnt look any different than it always has while SH does. So I reckon im not going to expire in my sleep LOL.

My wife would consider doing so on Christmas of all days to be in bad form and very ill mannered. Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2014, 01:17 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Im still a bit puzzled by the wave form tops and bottoms only going to +22 and -22 when they always reached 26 before but that could be the software also.

The slightly lower peak value of Flow shows that you are now breathing a little more slowly or a little less forcefully, for whatever reason.

Even though the peaks of your Flow waveform are a little smaller, your Tidal Volume could be the same or larger than before, and even the Minute Ventilation could be larger than before. Tidal Volume is determined by the average area under the Flow curve, not by just the peak of the Flow curve.

On the other hand, if your mask is venting or leaking more than before, I think your Flow might be under-reported.

Happy holidays,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2014, 01:33 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 01:17 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Im still a bit puzzled by the wave form tops and bottoms only going to +22 and -22 when they always reached 26 before but that could be the software also.

The slightly lower peak value of Flow shows that you are now breathing a little more slowly or a little less forcefully, for whatever reason.

Your Tidal Volume could be the same or larger than before, and even the Minute Ventilation could be larger than before, even though the peak Flow rate is a little lower. Tidal Volume is determined by the average area under the Flow curve, not by just the peak of the Flow curve.

On the other hand, if your mask is venting or leaking more than before, your Flow might be under-reported.

Happy holidays,
--- Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn. The Eson doesnt vent as much as the simplus. And with it I have a very low incidence of leaks almost none. Total leak which is what my machine reports is normally very very close the vent rate for the Eson at the given pressure at the time.

Seems its no biggie now that Ive had you good folks splain it too me and figuring out that SH is saying Lpm instead of ml like it should.

My AHI is good I feel fine. Reported TV seems to be a bit low but it never ran 500 etc as a median since I started months ago anyway.. Always in the 400s now in the 360 380 range last few nights and my resp and min vent are right down the middle of normal like always.

So Ill just continue as is except tonight Im shutting down the Aflex. Always had it set on 1 but have no trouble breathing against the min 9 to max 18 pressures without it so experimenting a bit. Ive never hit 0.0 before though under 1 is normal for me. Figure if it aint broke Ill diddle with it a bit and see if it gets better or breaks LOL.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to yall. ThanksSleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
did I calculate correctly that a 160cm female should have a TV of 265 to 371? my median runs 420, 95% at 640 and with a max of 1600 over the last month. that is really off, but i confess i have no clue what it means
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI: minute volume = Tidal Volume x Resp Rate (BPM.)
So, if your TV is 500ml (0.5 liter); and you BPM is 15, then your minute volume is 0.5 x 15 = 7.5 LPM

D-Vader: When did Oregon go metric? You're 5' 3"

Irrespective of height or sex, 500 ml is an average TV.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2014, 10:29 PM)justMongo Wrote: D-Vader: When did Oregon go metric? You're 5' 3"

yup, 5'3" and 160cm .... I live on the wild side Wink

the instructions Vaughn gave for finding expected had a ideal weight in kg for height * .005 to .007 for a range (???)
Post Reply Post Reply
This exchange of posts sounds like it's very important, but was beyond my knowledge frontier (or, in plain language, I didn't quite follow it).

So please excuse what might be a stupid question. Is it better (in some sense & adjusting for size & weight) to breathe quickly or slowly; and deeply or shallowly?

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2014, 03:50 PM)Kadenz Wrote: This exchange of posts sounds like it's very important, but was beyond my knowledge frontier (or, in plain language, I didn't quite follow it).

So please excuse what might be a stupid question. Is it better (in some sense & adjusting for size & weight) to breathe quickly or slowly; and deeply or shallowly?

My opinion is that it does not really matter as long as you are getting sufficient oxygen to your lungs. It would seem to me like the minute ventilation (the volume of air that gets to your lungs each minute) is the important thing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Rapid breathing will blow off too much CO2. It is called hyperventilation.
That shifts the pH of the blood slightly toward basic;
The pH shift constricts blood vessels and cause dizziness or even fainting.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2014, 06:58 PM)justMongo Wrote: Rapid breathing will blow off too much CO2. It is called hyperventilation.
That shifts the pH of the blood slightly toward basic;
The pH shift constricts blood vessels and cause dizziness or even fainting.

Hyperventilation can be caused by slower deeper breaths also. I know because I have done that. You are right, Mongo. One needs to keep the correct amount of oxygen entering the lungs so there is probably some sort of correct range for minute ventilation for each person.

The dependence of the correct tidal volume on height and correct weight does not make much sense to me. I would think that the heavier one is the more air is needed to oxygenate all of the tissues and that also takes me back to thinking that minute ventilation is probably more important.

Just my thoughts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,433 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 469 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  High Tidal Volume Bartman66 4 410 01-16-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tidal Volume ak996 4 442 12-12-2023, 12:07 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.