Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tidal Volume related to AHIs?
RE: Tidal Volume related to AHIs?
(03-12-2017, 01:41 PM)chill Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 04:11 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: What do you mean by "to see if it improves your breathing"?  What would improvement look like?  More consistent rhythm?  Not shallow breathing?  Or just decreasing the precursors of apneas?

Decreasing the precursors.  The pressure of anything other than ASV is not enough to meaningfully affect the inflation of your lungs.

Ah ok. 

I feel so bad for following up with more questions... but I really want to understand what is going on when I sleep with something every night. <snicker>

So what is the purpose of the pressure from a CPAP?  Does it just remind the throat to let air pass?  And some people need higher pressures because their throats are weaker/stronger?  

Sleeprider - So a CPAP/APAP does not offer "pressure support", rather it offers "pressure"?  I really have not comprehended what pressure support is, and how it varies from the Flex setting on my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2017, 03:02 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I feel so bad for following up with more questions... but I really want to understand what is going on when I sleep with something every night. <snicker>

So what is the purpose of the pressure from a CPAP?  Does it just remind the throat to let air pass?  And some people need higher pressures because their throats are weaker/stronger?

More questions are good.

Put on your mask and turn on the machine.  Close your lips.  Relax your tongue and push it to the bottom of your mouth.  What happens to your cheeks? That is what the CPAP is doing to your throat.  Granted, your throat probably less inflatable than your cheeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2017, 03:02 PM)Hydrange Wrote: Sleeprider - So a CPAP/APAP does not offer "pressure support", rather it offers "pressure"?  I really have not comprehended what pressure support is, and how it varies from the Flex setting on my machine.

I added a definition to the Wiki, and have started an article on Pressure Support.  That one is going to be a little more involved, but I appreciate the question since that is clearly a missing link in our information here.

'''Definition:'''

Pressure support (PS) in positive air pressure therapy, is the difference between inspiratory positive air pressure (IPAP) and expiratory positive pressure (EPAP). For example if IPAP is set at 12 and EPAP is set at 8 the PS is 12 - 8 = 4.0.
Flex and EPR are not nearly the same.

EPR lowers the pressure during the entire exhale cycle by 1 to 3 cm of pressure. EPR ends upon spontaneous inhale. If you have an apnea, the pressure stays low.

Flex provides pressure relief up to 2 cm at the beginning of exhale, an it returns to CPAP pressure before exhalation ends.

This figure shows the mask pressure (blue) compared to the respiratory flow rate (black) with EPR at 3 cm. An apnea in this image shows the pressure does not rise until the apnea is over. Resmed EPR can result in pressures lower than the titrated pressure that prevents OA.

[Image: wxNRuZuh.png]

Flex relief is at the beginning of exhale, but returns to CPAP pressure before exhale ends. Flex has the advantage that the prescribed pressure is not affected, but it does not have the same comfort effect.

[Image: c-flex-technology.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Disclaimer: I am not trying to start an argument with you, just noting a difference in terminology that may cause confusion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_s...entilation has a different definition of the term: "Pressure support ventilation (PSV), also known as pressure support, is a spontaneous mode of ventilation. The patient initiates every breath and the ventilator delivers support with the preset pressure value. With support from the ventilator, the patient also regulates his own respiratory rate and tidal volume.".

This may be a useful reference for your article.
http://www.lakesidepress.com/CPAP/CPAP.htm
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2017, 07:05 PM)chill Wrote: Disclaimer: I am not trying to start an argument with you, just noting a difference in terminology that may cause confusion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_s...entilation has a different definition of the term: "Pressure support ventilation (PSV), also known as pressure support, is a spontaneous mode of ventilation. The patient initiates every breath and the ventilator delivers support with the preset pressure value. With support from the ventilator, the patient also regulates his own respiratory rate and tidal volume.".

This may be a useful reference for your article.
http://www.lakesidepress.com/CPAP/CPAP.htm

That is partially correct, but pressure support is also used in both invasive and noninvasive ventilation support.  In the context of bilvell therapy, pressure support is the force that maske AVAPS, ASV, ST, and all other forms of bilvel/BiPAP work.  That's the reason this is not going to be published tonight. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am looking forward to it.  I've learned a lot from you in the past few weeks on related topics.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 3 220 04-16-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 208 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 167 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 207 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,599 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Hose volume Willw 4 283 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 505 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.