Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tidal volume and Flowrate out of sync? [Airsense 11]
Tidal volume and Flowrate out of sync? [Airsense 11]
Please pardon me if this question has been asked before (and if so just point me to the answer!)
My values in my tidal volume graphs don't seem to line up (timewise) with  expectations based on Flowrate graphs.

(see the attached)

Where I would expect a tidal volume minimum (based on a period of clear airway no flow, marked "c") I read 524 ml, but where I see a "big gulp"-maximum inspiration (marked "a")  I read  400 ml. And then a medium inspiration (marked "b") i reads  759 ml (maximum of the group)

On the other hand, perhaps the tidal volume values are averaged, so the values are always lagging. Or the Resmed calculation is indexed to an incorrect time. 

Any insight?

Equipment: Resmed Airsense 11 AutoSet mode, E30 mask
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tidal volume and Flowrate out of sync?
bump - and is my question unclear?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not aware of any Resmed documentation that states the parameter synchronization accuracy, or tolerance bandwidth.   I can tell you that not all parameters start reporting at a same time after startup.   Some parameters can take up to one minute before they start reporting.  This startup reporting time delay is variable also.   I would suggest that you zoom in on the very beginning of a session graph in the Daily Screen and look at when various parameters start reporting for that session.

This is the best answer I can provide.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Examine Start time - Good Idea!
In the following example it appears that the first inspiration time plotted is two seconds after the first recording of a flowrate.
The first rational Tidal Volume and Respiration Rate appear 14 seconds after the first recording of a flowrate
Flowrate start 22:27:12
Inspiration Rate start 22:27:14
Tidal Volume Rate start 22:27:26
Respiration Rate start 22:27:26

(because the graph trace on the Tidal Volume and Respiration Rate is a straight line from the origin to what I've called a rational or sensible value,  I'm inclined to believe that the values are actual (rather than averaged), but potentially lagging by 14 seconds.) 

For the record this was on a Resmed Airsense 11 in Autoset mode in "smart-start".

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tidal volume and Flowrate out of sync? [Airsense 11]
The derived quantities such as Tidal volume and Minute Vent. are very likely determined from some form of weighted rolling averages of the measured quantities. The averaging is necessary to reduce noise but will introduce the observed time lag since only backward averaging is employed. The time constant used in the weighting scheme is probably fixed but could vary with the inverse of the respiration rate. This would be in line with commonly used method of presenting data for analysis.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2021, 07:57 AM)Grandpapa-G Wrote: The derived quantities such as Tidal volume and Minute Vent. are very likely determined from some form of weighted rolling averages of the measured quantities. 

Yes, it would seem like the values are averaged. My followup question would be, is the averaging/derivation being done by the OSCAR software or by the machine firmware?

(if being done by OSCAR, the developers should be able to give a direct answer as to the method of averaging. OTOH, if the machine's firmware is doing the averaging the manufacturer may hold that as a "secret".

In this same line, I've been looking at inspiration and expiration times (not specifically to sync issues) , but rather who calculated these values. From the EDF files inspiration and expiration times are not values that are recorded to the SD card. Prior that discovery, I've assumed that the OSCAR software just presented a graphic of signals and did not create any new signals, nor modify those recorded signals (the exception being scaling).

Is this your understanding as well?
Post Reply Post Reply
A quick check shows that the ResMed AutoSet, VAuto, and ASV all report RespRate, TidalVol, and MinuteVent in the PLD.edf files. I dont have the Respironics files for comparison.

>>> "if being done by OSCAR, the developers should be able to give a direct answer as to the method of averaging"

... this is assuming some OSCAR developer has looked at that particular chunk of code...
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
As pholynyk says, the answer depends on the machine in question. ResMed machines record respiration rate, tidal volume, and minute vent. SleepStyle CPAP does not record those so OSCAR calculates those numbers from the flow graph. DeVilbiss is in between with resp rate and tidal volume being reported and minute vent calculated as the product of resp rate and tidal volume. I haven't look at the PRS importer to know how it handles those values.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to simplify, lets stay with Resmed.
Is there something that I'm not quite understanding?
I've assumed that the signals (for daily time graphs) come from the SD card. The flowrate data is obtained from the BRP_data.edf  for each session/day. That data is acquired from the device's sensors at 25 Hz (one reading every 40 msec).  Converted to CVS format the beginning of that file would look like this:

Other signals, like Mask Pressure, Pressure, EPR Press, Resp Rate are contained in the PLD files on the SD card. That data is recorded every 0.5 Hz (one datapoint each 2 seconds). So a small session, lasting only 9 minutes would have generated only 4 rows of data.

But when I plot the OSCAR data for those 9 minutes I get many more inflection points (suggesting "new" data), but Resmed has only provided 4 data points.

Why, to my eye, does OCSAR have so much more data for that short session than Resmed has recorded on the SD card?

Example:

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2021, 12:44 AM)dataq1 Wrote: deleted
I hope this inadvertent post will have been deleted after this attempt to do so.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Caution: Wellue O2 Ring - Time Sync hybernate 9 1,296 03-04-2024, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Curious if ResVent Tidal Volume displays seem correct TechieHippie 4 264 02-25-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Information Lookee oximeter import/sync issues, wiki update suggestions Uphold9887 9 761 05-02-2023, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  How to quickly sync Wellue O2 Ring Readings from Android to OSCAR hoselife 63 7,839 03-23-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: EddyDee
  Airsense11 Sync pcguilford 3 949 02-25-2023, 06:15 AM
Last Post: pcguilford
  Wifi SD sync wils98 1 1,038 02-12-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR not working with my new AirSense 11 (worked with my old AirSense 11) Chris33022 26 4,067 06-20-2022, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Chris33022

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.