Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tighten up APAP ranges?
Tighten up APAP ranges?
So, I have been on APAP (8-20 cm/H20) for >3 years without many problems, except recently I had a couple recent pressure runaways. (That seems to have been caused by inaudible vibrations in the mask "valve" that caused vibrations interpreted as snoring VS2.  New hose and quick disconnect - problem solved.)

There has been a lot of talk about not running APAP machines "open", such as mine at 8-20, but rather tightening down the pressure range once enough data is collected.

My pressures over the past year are below:

Some days, 8 cm/H2O is enough, so I am leaving that one alone, but I am going to try lowering the max. pressure to 14 cm/H2O to prevent accidental runaway conditions, since my highest 90% was 12 cm/H2O.

Thoughts? Comments?

Anyone else tighten up their APAP settings or do they run "open"?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tighten up APAP ranges?
Lowering the maximum pressure to prevent pressure run-away is fine. I set my wife's machine that way because she sometimes gets a run-away condition that results in her tearing her mask off. (Her run-away is caused by an occasional sleeping position that no amount of pressure can resolve, and the increased pressure just adds to the problem.)
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Minimizing pressure fluctuations starts with an effective minimum pressure that stops most events. The objective is to be within 3 cm or less of your 95% pressure requirements. I usually don’t worry about the maximum pressure, it’s rare that I reach it. In my case I stay between 14/10 and 17/13 pretty much all the time. I don’t have runaway pressure which is more common with flow limitations or snoring if those can’t be controlled in a comfortable pressure range.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your runaway situation was unusual, but I can see why you wouldn't want a repeat. Given your long-term pressure data, I don't see why you shouldn't set your max to 14, as you propose. Keep an eye on your AHI and on how often you see your pressure go up to the max and stay there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Narrowing my min-max range seems to be optimum for me, currently 10 - 12.5. My AHI averages 2.0 or so, with the odd 'bad' night of 4-5, usually when I have partaken of some fruit juice (properly fermented of course).

I used to experience runaways, particularly when I tried a Devilbiss APAP that was slow to respond. My Autoset seems to react soon enough to avoid most high-pressure interventions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 367 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 571 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 428 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,412 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.