Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tightening mask question -- How tight?
RE: Tightening mask question -- How tight?
I think the "looser is better" applies mainly to the nose masks, such as my F&P Eson mask.. 

Full face masks and nasal pillows are more likely to need to be "tighter" to seal properly.

But as others have said, whatever works best for you as an individual is the way to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my short amount of experience (9 nights now!) with my FFM (ResMed Quattro Air), I have found that it takes a very snug fit to prevent leaks, especially around my nose and into my eyes. I worked at balancing the upper straps with the lower straps to find a happy medium and I think after a week of making those adjustments I've found the sweet spot.

I don't wake up with any red marks or imprinting on my face and the leaking has slowed to almost non-existent, especially when I move around at night. I tend to sleep on my side so making sure the mask and pillow don't collide (which caused a lot of leaking the first few nights) was also key.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a ResMed Quatro FX FFM and have found over the years it works better tight against my face. I have a tendency to sleep on my side (as if I am not wearing a mask) and if it isn't tight, I get massive leaks along the sides as the mask shifts. I also flew airplanes in my prior life and the oxygen mask had to fit tight.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
The patented Spring Air™ cushion features dual walls for a comfortable, gentle fit that's also snug for optimum sleep apnea therapy.

This statement tells me that properly fitted this mask should NOT be "Tight".

Quote:http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/sup...-mask.html
Q. What's the correct way to fit a mask?

A. Fitting a mask properly depends a great deal on your position. Facial muscles change when we lie down and relax even further once we’re asleep, so it’s always best to fit the mask while you’re in your sleeping position. Whether you sleep in a bed with no pillows or in a recliner, you should fit your mask in your usual sleeping position. If you experience difficulties in fitting your mask, please refer to your mask user guide for complete fitting instructions or discuss it with your care provider or equipment supplier.

Q. Do I have the right mask size? I have to strap it so tight to obtain a seal that it hurts.

A. It’s important not to over-tighten your mask. Doing so may be a sign that you have the wrong cushion size or an incorrectly adjusted forehead support. If you’re using a ResMed mask that has a MicroFit dial, it’s important to note that your clinician has set the dial at the optimal position and adjusting it significantly from that position may cause discomfort. If you experience difficulties in fitting you mask, please refer to your mask user guide  for complete fitting instructions or discuss this with your medical equipment provider or physician.

Q. My mask is leaking. What does this mean?

A .Refer to the troubleshooting section in your mask user guide. Mask leak may indicate one of several things, including:

• incorrect adjustment

• incorrect assembly

• incorrect size

• your mask is worn out and needs replacement
Contact your doctor or equipment supplier to determine which of the above factors is interfering with the proper fitting of your mask.

Look at this site, there is a how to fit video called "Quattro Air How to fit" that runs 1:47
http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...o-air.html

Are you fitting top first, bottom, top again?  That is the recommended method.
Post Reply Post Reply
Judging by the fact I have light impressions on my face from the straps, I may have it slightly too tight, but I think I'm OK. Sounds like a lot of people here have it fairly tight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Over tightening mask? Jskier 5 396 02-06-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 332 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question QUICK QUESTION [mask leak issues] johduv 6 589 09-27-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Newbie Question about mask and hose compatability stalemate365 0 378 05-31-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: stalemate365

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.