Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Time Shift, does ResMed support DST?
Time Shift, does ResMed support DST?
When I got my new to me ResMed VAuto, it was in mid October.  So I set the clock to EDT.  Is there anyway to make it recognize the time shift back to EST?  There seems to be warnings about changing clocks - as in "change your clock before using an SD card, or it will erase your data".  What's the skinny on ST/DST on ResMed machines?  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Time Shift, does ResMed support DST?
I don't remember if they have a DST on/off switch, in fact I'd doubt it. It's pretty easy to bump the clock forward in the Spring, but a headache to fall back. IMO I'd choose one or the other and let it run without adjustment for DST. The clock is really only needed at a reasonably accurate setting for compliance and for yourself on OSCAR.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't care about the time change and strongly recommend you don't either. I have see people totally mess up the CPAP clock and have to delete all data to get back to the actual date/time. That said, my OSCAR data seems to be properly tracking DST/EST time in the data. Ask yourself, what's the difference of an hour?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
i change mine and my wife's s10's each time without problem. change the time backward or forward after noon before you start putting sleep time on it. it screws up or won't let you change it if you try to change it before noon after putting sleep time on it. this is all assuming that your new sleep day starts and ends at noon. why do i bother to change it? because i can. LOL.......
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I was afraid some of the answers might be all over the map.  Not meaning to stir up controversy!  If I had to leave it at a setting my druthers would be  standard time.  So there's some real danger of mucking things up.  Not good.  But maybe it's ok, if done after 12 noon.  

Where it gets confusing is when the time shifts.  Especially if one bit of sw thinks it's DST and another thinks it's ST.  Then it's not obvious how to correlate events, especially with other devices.  The times can be up to 2 hours off, and it does get confusing.  This is not academic, it happened to me.  An hour matters a lot if two or more devices are off in differing and unknown directions.

Not to pick on OSCAR but here's an example of not consistently handling time on Halloween - a US time zone shift date.
In the details section it says Start: 23:41:21, End:  07:33:22, Hours 8:52:01.  Hours (duration) were correct.  Start was wrong.  In fact, if start was correct, then Start to End would be 7:52:01.  Correct start time actually was 22:41:21.  On the graph section the start time is correct:  22:41:21.  Not consistent.

My video camera which I used to observe limb movement, had a similar sort of error.  You see, it's kind of a common problem.  The camera app wasn't consistent (internally) with it's consideration of time and time shift.  Now it gets hard to sync events, especially if there's a busy night.  

This is the motivation for the question: I am just trying to reduce the confusion.  It's like forgetting to set back all the clocks in the fall and looking up at a random clock in your home and saying, is that the right time?  Hard to tell, without making sure they are all set to the right time.  After all this, I'm still not sure if I want to change the time on my ResMed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Move to AZ. We don't have to put up with the time change nonsense here.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2020, 07:54 PM)happydreams Wrote: When I got my new to me ResMed VAuto, it was in mid October.  So I set the clock to EDT.  Is there anyway to make it recognize the time shift back to EST?  There seems to be warnings about changing clocks - as in "change your clock before using an SD card, or it will erase your data".  What's the skinny on ST/DST on ResMed machines?  Thanks.

Hi happydreams.
I've been thru this with my Resmed S9 Autoset and now Airsense 10 Autoset for Her.  No Resmed does not recognize DST - the time changes must be done manually.  The springtime change represents no problem, as you need to shift the time setting  later by 1 hour.  The fall season change is more difficult, as it is needful to set the time back by an hour.  Both my Resmed machines have refused to allow the time to be set backward, and give an error indicating that it "already has data" when attempting to do so. 

My new Airsense 10 machine has a small LED light beside the SD card slot, which blinks or flashes to indicate reading or writing activity.  I have noticed that it gives a blink whenever the SD card is removed or inserted, and also when the machine is turned off with the top button.  I am interpreting this to mean that the machine classes these actions as an event to log, and refuses to allow the time to be reset to any time before the logged events..  So this year, I allowed the machine to sit powered on for several hours, and then set the time back by an hour - no problem. 

And no, the machine didn't erase any data in the process.
Good luck with the settings.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
that's what i was saying more or less. got up in the morning. didn't touch the machines til 4pm. set them back to 3pm. no problem. easy peasy.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never bothered changing the time in the 6+ years on Cpap. Never made a difference to me.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Truthfully, @OpalRose neither have I.

It's only when I was trying to sync events on multiple devices where things got pretty confusing rather fast.  And when you are struggling to understand what's happening at a detailed level (because your current therapy isn't effective) and your mind is slightly impaired due to sleep deprivation, such minor things can muddle things quickly.  If everything is under control and you are sleeping well, I guess it's not strictly needed.  Under my current condition, I need all the help I can get!

As for resolution: guess I will leave it alone.  When I'm "better treated" might fiddle with it.  Thanks all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 203 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,417 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,332 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 614 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.