Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Time at Max Pressure
Time at Max Pressure
Hi,

I've been using my machine for almost 4 years, but until recently, never bothered to understand the data showing what is happening beneath the mask each night.  Having now downloaded SleepyHead, trying to understand the meaning of all the data AND what all the terms mean, I'm not really much clearer.

What I do understand is that I seem to be 'cured' as my AHI is below 5. Yippee!

What I'm NOT sure on are my settings.

Since I got the machine, I've never been back to my doctor, given that I don't fall asleep at the workdesk anymore, and generally feel a lot more refreshed during the day. So I self-diagnose. Dangerous I know!

One of the things I wonder about, is whether I should tweak my settings or not. I'm in the midst of trying to keep the mask on all night, so it's only the last few nights in the last year/year and a half, that I have data lasting longer than about 4 hours per night.  I've noticed that the time I'm spending at max pressure has been increasing. All of my other readings seem to be OK, but last night, about half the night was spent at the maximum pressure of 10.  Should I increase it, or does the fact that my AHI is low mean that I don't have to change anything?

Any advice anybody can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Time at Max Pressure
It sounds like your pressure range needs tweaked a bit, but would like to see a screenshot of your data first.

You may be experiencing a lot of clear airway events, and in that case would not recommend to raise pressure. Let's try to find out why you are bumping up against your max pressure by posting a screenshot.

Follow the tutorials in my signature line. This will tell you how to organize the graphs and post here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How about posting screenshots of your waveforms; and we'll kick around the idea of what might be better.
Especially last nights.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
you're an aussie, get to your private dr or to public hospital outpatients. There is no need to self treat and not see a respiratory dr, at a minimum every 12 months. self fine tuning is a good idea though.
Is you 60 a full auto or pro? either way I would raise the pressure 1 cm at a time if it was me, depending on the machine to how you would do it. but as you know, it's useless if you don't use it..that would be my first priority, using the mask all night.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
If you frequently are at your maximum set pressure for significant periods of time, it usually means you should be using a higher max pressure, and probably a higher minimum pressure as well. There are however exceptions. It sounds like you are getting adequate or good treatment at current settings, and if you are comfortable, you need to consider if a higher pressure could impair that comfort and what the "return on investment" is for making the changes. A quick review of your chart data can tell us a lot about those things, and what is driving up pressure. Usually, increasing pressure will further reduce events or improve things like snoring and flow limitation. Occasionally, it's okay to put up with some of those artifacts in order to sleep better at a lower pressure. Everyone seems to be different.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh - It looks like I have to post 4 times to be able to add links.

No - still won't allow me to post a link.  So lets try

http

://imgur.com/ApemsYF

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Next post should get it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK - so let's try that again :

http://imgur.com/ApemsYF

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are NOT cured, you are treated.

You are at your min of 5 most of the night, and at your max of 10 for a bit over an hour.  IF your AHI was higher I'd suggest bumping the pressure up to say 6-11.

The question as you have asked is why are you not sleeping longer with your APAP?
5cm, your minimium, may be too low for you to be comfortable.  For that reason try the 6-11cm settings and see if it feels better and you can maintain it longer.  Adjusting for your "comfort", not your AHI here.
Post Reply Post Reply
the medium, 14.3 breaths per minute with tidal flow of 360 would be of a concern to me. I would bring this to your doctors attention. the gurus here may suggest pressure and EPR adjustments to try and ventilate more.

this is the typical rate.
[Image: ciLBxT8.jpg?1]
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 201 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 614 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 802 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,214 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.