Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Time for a new CPAP machine?
Time for a new CPAP machine?
I'm trying to justify getting a new machine this year. I finally got around to checking the usage on my S9. It has almost 10K hours on it.

It still runs fine, even with a few bumps and bruises on it. My motivation comes from the fact that the S9 is 5 years old now and I think my insurance will allow me to get a new machine and cover the costs. I've already met my deductible for the year and that's a big factor too. I just don't want the machine to die next year when my costs to replace it might be a lot greater.

How much longer can I expect the S9 to run before it begins to break down?
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Time for a new CPAP machine?
Here in Australia Resmed used to give a five year warranty on S9s, so they must be confident that the mean time before failure is well in excess of that. Mine had a problem in the humidifier at about 4 years and 9 months - they repaired the humidifier and at the same time replaced the blower motor at no charge.

If you're in a position to get a new one at low or zero cost out of pocket then that's probably a wise idea, and you can keep your existing machine as a backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with DeepBreathing. If your insurance will pay for a new machine or you can get it at a good price, go for the new machine. Technology has improved over the years. Depending on your insurance, you may also need a new sleep study. You can always take the old machine, clean it up and save it as a spare or a travel machine.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with DeepBreathing and Homerec130, now is the time to go for the replacement, you shouldn't wait until your 5 year old machine conks out an some inconvenient time. Some DMEs try to get your old machine back but it is yours to keep.
Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2019, 04:24 AM)Bubba45 Wrote: How much longer can I expect the S9 to run before it begins to break down?

It may run for years as a good backup or travel machine, but you are definitely due for the new A10 model. The S9 is a very old machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 201 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.