Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Time to End Cpap?
Time to End Cpap?
My AHI has been consistently below 1.0 Have a 1.2 or 1.7 once in a while, but usually run .7 or .9. Average is about .7. Have had a couple of .1 and .2 show up. Is it tie to go cap-less and see what happens or do I have to go thru Doc to do that. I was told that anything below 5.0 was mild SA, so I figure with my stats, SA is almost over.
Suggestions please.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Time to End Cpap?
Subscribed!  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you got those numbers from what? MyAir? Put up your charts from OSCER and let’s see how you got there. It does not show your pressures _ nothing. How can you make ANY kind of decision without any data??? How can anyone give you an answer?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Short answer - CPAP is a treatment, not a cure. You are treating the symptoms, but the cause for your sleep apnea does not go away. If you discontinue treatment, the symptoms will almost definitely return.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure CPAP cures sleep apnoea.. it just manages to keep it to a controlled level.

You would probably need a proper sleep test again to determine if you still have apnoea events when not using CPAP.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Bravo. The answer to your question is no.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bravo8,
I wish it were that simple... to think we can be cured so easily, but for most of us and probably you included, had a sleep study for a reason, because we had untreated apnea, and felt like crap.

Once you are on Cpap therapy, your apnea is treated, but not cured.

So, if you were to stop using Cpap, your apnea events would likely return to untreated status, and you would go back to feeling the same as before you started Cpap.

And, Welcome Back!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like others have said, PAP therapy is a treatment for apnea not a cure. Using the CPAP treatment for a while does not cure or remove the throat collapse that causes apnea in the first place assuming you had obstructive apnea.

Feel free to show us some OSCAR data, but I do know this already, having an AHI of .5 or whatever that you're seeing is POST treatment, meaning after the CPAP reduces apnea events this .5 or other low AHI numbers will most definitely be higher without treatment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2020, 08:55 PM)Bravo8 Wrote: My AHI has been consistently below 1.0 Have a 1.2 or 1.7 once in a while, but usually run .7 or .9. Average is about .7. Have had a couple of .1 and .2 show up.

That just means that the CPAP therapy is treating your condition. If you stop the CPAP therapy the AHI will go right back up to what it was before you started CPAP therapy.

The CPAP machine keeps your airway from collapsing. Take away the CPAP machine and the airway collapses.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As above the answer is No.
The best we can do is turn down the pressure to the minimum of 4 (after carefully noting your current settings) and see if your apnea increases.
If it increases by any amount over routine variation, we will say over 5 AHI, then you definitely have sleep apnea.
If not you have an argument to another Diagnosticr PSG/Sleep Test (without CPAP) to see if you are in fact apnea free.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 201 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 614 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 802 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.