Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Time to increase pressure?
Time to increase pressure?
I've been using my CPAP machine for about a year now, and it reduced my AHI from 10.6 on my sleep study to around 5 on most nights. I feel way better than I did before having it, but still a long ways from great.

My pressure is currently set to 7-13, should I experiment with increasing it? What are reasonable thresholds to try?

I'm also worried that most of my events appear to be central if I'm reading the data correctly, does that mean that I might need to switch to a Bibap machine?

I would ask my sleep doc, but I have to book appointments months in advance, so.... Sad

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Time to increase pressure?
If you up your pressure, you risk increasing centrals. Looks like you have EPR set to 3. Using less EPR may decrease CO2 washout, lowering centrals. If your doc is concerned about CA... Bilevel (called VPAP by Resmed) isn't the best way to treat it.

The ASV is the gold standard of mixed and central apnea treatment. Although, insurance may make you FAIL on a Timed mode bilevel first.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with justMongo.....lower your EPR setting. I would turn it down to 2 and watch and see if the Centrals are reduced, if so, then lower EPR further down to 1.

Your minimum pressure is fairly low to treat Obstructives, but I would not advise raising it uttill you see if lowering the EPR helps.

You also have a bit of a leak issue to deal with. It could be your mask, or could be mouth breathing.

Try mask liners and/or adjusting the straps. If you are mouth breathing, try a chin strap.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a third to reducing EPR and leaving pressure the same. Unlike OpalRose, i would suggest turning EPR off or setting it to 1. Note at your minimum pressure, EPR causes your EPAP to be 4.0. I think this combination of low pressure and high EPR directly causes both your obstructive and clear events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sunglide,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you are noticing some improvement with your CPAP therapy.
I wish you good luck as you continue on your CPAP journey and also with getting your machine better adjusted to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd be inclined to bump the pressure up a couple of points and see what happens. Your min is way below your 95%.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 89 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 114 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 546 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 226 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 142 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 753 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,222 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.