Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tinnitus?
Tinnitus?
Severe apnea for a few years. About two months ago had a rough night and woke up with ringing in my ears.  Prompted me to finally get on CPAP. Went thru Lofta and now have the resmed curve auto. On day 4. Having tough time getting used to it. Getting 3-4 hours a night. App says 3-4 events per hour down from 51 in my sleep study.  

ENT looked at my ears and didn’t see any issues. Will do some follow ups. Question is, has anyone developed tinnitus from apnea and did going on CPAP help resolve it?

While I’m asking, anyone have recommended settings for this curve?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tinnitus?
Welcome to the Apnea Board.

For best answers to your setup question, it would be good to get the free tool OSCAR and post the screenshot. Also it's good to have your copies of the diagnosic and titration sleep studies in your personal health file and to post redacted versions here as well.

PS to help get used to any PAP, you may want to try using while relaxing and reading or watching TV. It does help to get used to the pressures.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board. In all modesty, we have a pretty good track record in getting people comfortable with therapy, and you have an excellent bilevel machine. If you download OSCAR (free software) you will have details like you never imagined about your therapy, and we can learn what your settings and issues are. You may need a SD card in your machine (look behind the door on the top left side) and if there isn't one, any SD card from 2 to 32 GB will work. Sleep with the card in the slot, and upload using the Oscar software, then use the link in my signature to learn how to organize charts, take a screenshot and attach it to a post.

Without knowing your settings and the issues in your treatment we can only speculate at what is going on. Tinnitus can be related to VPAP therapy, however it is more often the result of chronic exposure to noise, and the onset is sometimes noticed after starting therapy. At least by looking at your OSCAR charts we can rule out excessive pressure and other problems.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had severe Tinnitus for decades. Long before any sleep apnea diagnosis. I'll be three years of CPAP use for me in Sept. My Tinnitus is as bad as it's ever been.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all! The machine has a card in it. I’ll download Oscar and upload everything tomorrow. To be clear. The ear ringing started two months before I started the CPAP. I just started CPAP a few days ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd forgotten to mention my own tinnitus. Mine started with a bias to the right ear but has gradually worsened in both. The tinnitus started many years before Apnea diagnosis or treatment for myself so there's no connection for these with me.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tinnitus but I have clinically-diagnosed hearing loss which is known to cause/emphasise tinnitus, so I suggest a hearing test. that said, my tinnitus is always worse first thing in the morning and I believe that is because my head has been 'pumped up' all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tinnitus for 51 years.  CPAP for one year hasn’t changed my tinnitus.  I’m hoping my new hearing aids will help mask tinnitus.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't see how a doctor looking in your ears will reveal anything. When I first had tinnitus I had a hearing test. Put into a telephone booth ? and they tested my range. I had lost some levels (high or low, I don't know) and was told this loss of range resulted in tinnitus.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
@Big Guy -- Does the CPAP act the same as white noise to moderate the tinnitus at night?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [Pressure] tinnitus and ears problems with CPAP, need help weuw 16 2,825 05-31-2021, 11:45 AM
Last Post: weuw
Surprised I used the AirFit P10 for 3 hours and now have tinnitus. freddieku 0 715 02-23-2021, 03:12 AM
Last Post: freddieku
  TINNITUS Llll 21 2,040 01-10-2021, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Cpap & Tinnitus David001 27 3,648 01-03-2021, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Pipandor
  Tinnitus and DreamWear Mask The Professor 21 4,143 04-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Last Post: The Professor
  Central apnea and tinnitus pizza41466 13 5,859 06-13-2015, 02:02 AM
Last Post: pizza41466
  Tinnitus gumbloid 19 11,348 09-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Last Post: DocWils

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.