Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tinnitus and DreamWear Mask
Tinnitus and DreamWear Mask
I starting using a CPAP machine for three weeks using the F&P Eson nasal mask.  Setting on CPAP machine was 5  to 15. It had Auto Setting enabled.  Everything was fine except I had a little discomfort around my nose.  So, I changed to the Philips Respironics DreamWear nasal mask.  After wearing it for three hours the first night I woke up with ringing in both ears.  Tried it one more night and same problem.  Stopped using CPAP completely and ringing in left ear has never stopped. I have had TMJ issues in the past.  Went to ENT and he said hearing is good and ear pressure is good.  Stopped all medications as well and ringing in left ear has not stopped.

Any suggestions?  Could the DreamWear mask have triggered TMJ problem?  Should the pressure have been reduced when I changed to the DreamWear mask from the other F&P Eson nasal mask?

What should I do to get rid of the ringing?  Dentist has suggested a new splint to see if my TMJ was triggered due to the CPAP headgear in general.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tinnitus and DreamWear Mask
I don't have an answer for you since I'm a new user too, but I had the same ringing in my ears after using that mask in the lab study. I haven't ordered my cpap or mask yet, so I'm interested to hear other comments on this issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
I recently started using the Dreamwear mask, about 3 weeks now, and have had no issues with ringing ears.  If you take aspirin, though you mentioned you stopped your meds, that can cause ringing in your ears if taken in excess.  Hopefully you can determine the reason for the tinnitus.  Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Has your ringing gone away?  Mine has not.  And, I haven't used any CPAP machine for 3 weeks.

Thanks,

(04-01-2017, 06:45 AM)Safire Wrote: I don't have an answer for you since I'm a new user too, but I had the same ringing in my ears after using that mask in the lab study. I haven't ordered my cpap or mask yet, so I'm interested to hear other comments on this issue.

Has your ringing gone away?  Mine has not, and I have not used CPAP therapy at all for 3 weeks.

Thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi The Professor,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just a thought, when you switched from the full-face mask, (FFM,) to the Dreamware mask,, did you also switch from the FFM setting to the nasal setting on your machine?
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it dialed in to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yikes, that has got to be annoying.

I'm sorry I'm of no help. I'm very prone to tinnitis, but I've not experienced it with my DreamWear mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2017, 07:59 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi The Professor,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just a thought, when you switched from the full-face mask, (FFM,) to the Dreamware mask,, did you also switch from the FFM setting to the nasal setting on your machine?
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it dialed in to meet your needs.

Trish6hundred,

Thank you for responding.

When I started CPAP therapy I started with the Eson nasal mask, and used it for three weeks without any ear ringing.  When I changed to the Dreamware, the ringing started within 3 hours.  My theory is the pressure should have been reduced when I switched to the Dreamware because it is my belief it delivered more pressure to my nose and ears than the Eson nasal mask did.  I believe it triggered something with my TMJ.  But, I don't understand why stopping therapy has not cleared the ringing.  My next step is to have a splint made by my dentist to see if the TMJ was the culprit.  If that doesn't work, I am out of ideas.  I just need to get rid of this ringing as it is now constant.  And, I do want to continue with my CPAP therapy, because I need it.

Thanks again for any thoughts or suggestions you may have.

(04-02-2017, 02:18 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: Yikes, that has got to be annoying.

I'm sorry I'm of no help. I'm very prone to tinnitis, but I've not experienced it with my DreamWear mask.

Hydrangea,

Does your tinnitis come and go?

And, if so, what have you done to stop it?

Thank you,
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2017, 12:11 PM)The Professor Wrote:
(04-02-2017, 02:18 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: Yikes, that has got to be annoying.

Hydrangea,

Does your tinnitis come and go?

And, if so, what have you done to stop it?

Thank you,

Yes, it comes and goes.

My tinnitus started in elementary school, when I had my first hearing test. 

In my 30s, I learned that I have Lyme disease, and likely had it all my life. Interestingly, by treating my Lyme it has decreased (or maybe even eliminated... knock on wood) the tinnitus.  I've treated the Lyme with antibiotics, dietary changes, and alternative means.

I'm not sure if that's of any help to you.  But since you asked... the above is as far as I've gotten in figuring out my tinnitus.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Professor, yes the ringing did eventually go away. My ears popped. It's like the pressure was pushing on my eardrums. Our ears, throat and nasal passages are all connected, somehow the air built up in my ears.
Post Reply Post Reply
A simple question. Have you had your ears checked for wax blockage or your Eustachian tubes checked for similar issues?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 293 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 332 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Dreamwear/F30i Rebdr 1 512 11-03-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] Phillips Dreamwear mask is whistling melody 2 583 09-26-2023, 03:43 PM
  Modifying DREAMWEAR silicone nasal pillow mask xaid 2 716 07-01-2023, 11:33 AM
  Dreamwear pillow mask fit. frame too small? jerop 6 756 05-19-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.