Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tinnitus and DreamWear Mask
RE: Tinnitus and DreamWear Mask
I have tinnitus.  I have had it since (that I can remember) about 1960.  Mine sounds like the high pitched whine that you getwhen an old tube type TV went out of horizontal sync.  The volume is about what you have in a loud room.  Back in the day I could tune the TV by sound, not by sight.  That is how close to the horizontal sync frequency it is.

If changing a mask can make it go away I'm all ears.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2017, 07:14 PM)Safire Wrote: Hi Professor, yes the ringing did eventually go away. My ears popped. It's like the pressure was pushing on my eardrums. Our ears, throat and nasal passages are all connected, somehow the air built up in my ears.

How long did it take to clear?  And, did it clear after not using CPAP therapy at all? Or did it clear even on CPAP but with a different mask?

Thank you,
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2017, 07:14 PM)The Professor Wrote:
(04-02-2017, 07:14 PM)Safire Wrote: Hi Professor, yes the ringing did eventually go away. My ears popped. It's like the pressure was pushing on my eardrums. Our ears, throat and nasal passages are all connected, somehow the air built up in my ears.

How long did it take to clear?  And, did it clear after not using CPAP therapy at all? Or did it clear even on CPAP but with a different mask?

Thank you,

I only tried CPAP that one night in the lab, I haven't been fitted for my own mask or machine yet. When I get my own machine in a few weeks we'll see if it happens again. I certainly hope it doesn't, it's a horrible feeling. Edit: it lasted for about a full day for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please review the Mask Primer.  When you got in to pick up your machine Try on as many masks as you can, under pressure and lying down.  THIS IS IMPORTANT.  You want a mask that feels comfortable and does not leak.  Don't immediately take the first mask they give you.
 and say you want the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset or its Respironics equivalent.  If you are NOT getting either of these ask your Dr to revise the Rx to specify DAW for one of these.

You have time but this is important to you and for your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2017, 05:09 AM)The Professor Wrote: I starting using a CPAP machine for three weeks using the F&P Eson nasal mask.  Setting on CPAP machine was 5  to 15. It had Auto Setting enabled.  Everything was fine except I had a little discomfort around my nose.  So, I changed to the Philips Respironics DreamWear nasal mask.  After wearing it for three hours the first night I woke up with ringing in both ears.  Tried it one more night and same problem.  Stopped using CPAP completely and ringing in left ear has never stopped. I have had TMJ issues in the past.  Went to ENT and he said hearing is good and ear pressure is good.  Stopped all medications as well and ringing in left ear has not stopped.

Any suggestions?  Could the DreamWear mask have triggered TMJ problem?  Should the pressure have been reduced when I changed to the DreamWear mask from the other F&P Eson nasal mask?

What should I do to get rid of the ringing?  Dentist has suggested a new splint to see if my TMJ was triggered due to the CPAP headgear in general.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

i can see a tight mask and straps triggering tmj

(04-04-2017, 06:52 AM)bonjour Wrote: I have tinnitus.  I have had it since (that I can remember) about 1960.  Mine sounds like the high pitched whine that you getwhen an old tube type TV went out of horizontal sync.  The volume is about what you have in a loud room.  Back in the day I could tune the TV by sound, not by sight.  That is how close to the horizontal sync frequency it is.

If changing a mask can make it go away I'm all ears.

sorry no cure for tinnitus

you learn to ignore

lots of scam quack cures being sold but they dont work
Post Reply Post Reply
Any mask could change your bite and trigger TMJ especially if too tight mispositioned and too long.

On the tinnitus one can always hope. But after nearly 60 years im6pretty good at ignoring it.
Post Reply Post Reply
My only expertise with tinnitus is that I too have had it most of my life and it's worsened in recent years due to medication. Cpap did not make it worse. The Dreamwear mask did not make it worse. I read that TMJ CAN worsen tinnitus that is already present (my sister has bad TMJ from a car crash years ago but never developed tinnitus). Right now, it's especially worse, again, due to medications, but I don't really have options. And yes, any mask can worsen TMJ if you have it on too tight. I find I need the Dreamwear mask on a little tighter than other pillows masks, so you might want to try either the Airfit P10 or its predecessor the Swift. These don't have to be tight at all to work and the pad-a-cheek adds even more comfort.

So, while I can't help you prevent your tinnitus, I can suggest a white noise to help you to sleep. Ocean waves sounds work great, but I'm sure there are others that work for you. Love sprinkler or crickets for naps (Ok, the birds are great, but then my cat gets all anxious looking for the birds in the room). I alternate between an app and my Echo for ocean wave sounds to help me sleep. Fans also mask the tinnitus.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2017, 08:40 PM)bonjour Wrote: Any mask could change your bite and trigger TMJ especially if too tight mispositioned and too long.

Do you really think so?

The Amara View definitely pushes my lower jaw in, which I can definitely imagine could trigger/aggrevate TMJ.

The DreamWear is the only other mask I've worn (while xPAPing) thus far.  I am sensitive to things messing with my bite, my teeth, my alignment, and TMJ.  And I don't feel that the DreamWear affects those things for me.  When I wear the MediumWide size of cushion, it pushes on my upper gums a bit because it is too wide.  But other than that (ie: with a correct size cushion), I haven't had any bother.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2017, 11:09 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 08:40 PM)bonjour Wrote: Any mask could change your bite and trigger TMJ especially if too tight mispositioned and too long.

Do you really think so?

The Amara View definitely pushes my lower jaw in, which I can definitely imagine could trigger/aggrevate TMJ.

The DreamWear is the only other mask I've worn (while xPAPing) thus far.  I am sensitive to things messing with my bite, my teeth, my alignment, and TMJ.  And I don't feel that the DreamWear affects those things for me.  When I wear the MediumWide size of cushion, it pushes on my upper gums a bit because it is too wide.  But other than that (ie: with a correct size cushion), I haven't had any bother.

I believe that there is no risk from a properly adjusted mask.  but anything that is providing constant inward pressure on either the upper or lower jaw has the potential of changing your bite.  An improper bite is one cause of TMJ.  Dentists and orthodontists make appliances to, among other things, improve the bite and treat TMJ.  Therefore . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2017, 09:15 AM)bonjour Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 11:09 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:

Do you really think so?

I believe that there is no risk from a properly adjusted mask.  but anything that is providing constant inward pressure on either the upper or lower jaw has the potential of changing your bite.  An improper bite is one cause of TMJ.  Dentists and orthodontists make appliances to, among other things, improve the bite and treat TMJ.  Therefore . . .
Ah, ok. I'm with ya there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 296 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 789 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 333 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Dreamwear/F30i Rebdr 1 512 11-03-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] Phillips Dreamwear mask is whistling melody 2 583 09-26-2023, 03:43 PM
  Modifying DREAMWEAR silicone nasal pillow mask xaid 2 718 07-01-2023, 11:33 AM
  Dreamwear pillow mask fit. frame too small? jerop 6 760 05-19-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.