Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 things I wonder about
3 things I wonder about
Today, I got my bilevel auto.

3 things the RT told me:

one is that leaks (I presume for my mask) can be 50 and be okay but the best thing to do is to get as close to zero as I can. I am trying to find where I can get info on the leak rate for my mask because I am curious and thought 50 would be way to high.

I also noticed on my machine that it is set for nasal ultra and I thought I had the wisp set to nasal on my other machine.

two is that the wisp isn't supposed to go to the top of my nose which I was not aware of so I am changing cushion sizes per the RT.

three the RT said that the machine can get smoke in it from smoking in the house and I thought, in my lack of experience in this area, that if one smokes, it might get in the machine if they smoke in the same room that the machine is in but not from smoking in another room. So, people will have to go outside to smoke from now on b/c I don't want smoke in the machine.

So, I learned 3 things today that I didn't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 3 things I wonder about
(01-16-2014, 10:13 PM)me50 Wrote: 3 things the RT told me:

one is that leaks (I presume for my mask) can be 50 and be okay but the best thing to do is to get as close to zero as I can.
What machine have you got, Phillips Respironcis or Resmed
50 L/m might be okay for PR machine as PR machine report total leak but not for Resmed machine as Remed machine report unintentional leak
24 L/m or below is an acceptable leak for Resmed machines

Post Reply Post Reply
To me, the leak isnt okay if it is compromising the therapy. There's the machine threshold but your personal threshold may be lower.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 11:33 PM)zonk Wrote:
(01-16-2014, 10:13 PM)me50 Wrote: 3 things the RT told me:

one is that leaks (I presume for my mask) can be 50 and be okay but the best thing to do is to get as close to zero as I can.
What machine have you got, Phillips Respironcis or Resmed
50 L/m might be okay for PR machine as PR machine report total leak but not for Resmed machine as Remed machine report unintentional leak
24 L/m or below is an acceptable leak for Resmed machines

Resmed. Fortunately my leaks stay at or below 24 most of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I consistently get 0.00 leak rate. I use a FFM and cinch down the straps.
Every mask has vent(s) to permit flushing out of exhaled air.
The machine can keep up with that intentional leak. (Somehow it knows that's not a "leak.")
If mine were to leak, it would be at the face seal and that would keep me away.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 53 944 Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR expert needed - out of things to try.... pezhead99 20 1,481 09-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Things Going Well on Paper, Symptoms Remain cpapnewbie18 1 437 03-07-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: jeffpack1957
  Need some help with a few things please Weegie 13 879 02-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Weegie
  [Treatment] Five months in, things still aren't much better manacles 11 1,214 12-01-2022, 12:14 PM
Last Post: manacles
  Things Have Changed in the Last 10 Years... columbo 6 914 01-03-2022, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Ratchick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.