Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tips for sleep apnea patients
Tips for sleep apnea patients
If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, Dr. Philip R. Westbrook, Chief Medical Officer of Advanced Brain Monitoring, Inc., recommends you do the following:
Always inform all your physicians that you have sleep apnea and how that disorder is being treated.
Tell a spouse or responsible persons the details of your diagnosis and treatment so they can inform the physician in an emergency situation
Avoid narcotic (opioid) pain medications such as morphine, which can lead to life-threatening hypoxia (low oxygen), even in patients with mild sleep apnea
Avoid alcoholic beverages (or use with moderation) within 3 hours of bedtime
Avoid (or use with caution) sleeping pills and other medication known to cause sedation
If you smoke, quit. You are three times more likely to have sleep apnea if you smoke than if you never smoked or stopped smoking.
Avoid sleeping at high altitude. Altitude can make the loss of oxygen that occurs with sleep apnea worse
If your sleep apnea causes you to be sleepy, avoid operating a motor vehicle or other machinery potentially dangerous to yourself or others until you are adequately treated
If you are being treated with CPAP, always take your CPAP machine with you if you are being admitted to a hospital.
If you are overweight, lose weight. Sleep apnea is strongly linked to obesity.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tips for sleep apnea patients
Healthy lifestyle [Source: ResMed]

Different aspects of your lifestyle may impact your therapy. Your daily habits and personal relationships may play a role in the success of your treatment. While it may take time, it's possible to comfortably integrate therapy into your lifestyle. Talk to your doctor about any concerns you may have.

Daily habits
Changes in your daily routine may affect your therapy. Drinking alcohol, gaining or losing weight, or taking medications can cause your pressure needs to change. Check with your doctor to see how your lifestyle might affect your therapy, and be sure to tell your doctor about any symptoms or changes.

Personal relationships
Some people feel self-conscious about using their PAP equipment in front of others. They worry that their spouse or partner may be “turned off” by the appearance of the equipment.

Similarly, some people worry about taking their equipment with them on trips, like camping or business travel. They worry their friends or colleagues will think less of them because they are on PAP therapy.

These concerns are normal, but PAP is nothing to be embarrassed about. By using your PAP regularly, you are taking control of your health and making a positive choice for your future and wellbeing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2012, 03:40 PM)zonk Wrote: If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, Dr. Philip R. Westbrook, Chief Medical Officer of Advanced Brain Monitoring, Inc., recommends you do the following:
Always inform all your physicians that you have sleep apnea and how that disorder is being treated.
Tell a spouse or responsible persons the details of your diagnosis and treatment so they can inform the physician in an emergency situation
Avoid narcotic (opioid) pain medications such as morphine, which can lead to life-threatening hypoxia (low oxygen), even in patients with mild sleep apnea
Avoid (or use with caution) sleeping pills and other medication known to cause sedation
If you smoke, quit. You are three times more likely to have sleep apnea if you smoke than if you never smoked or stopped smoking.
Avoid sleeping at high altitude. Altitude can make the loss of oxygen that occurs with sleep apnea worse
If your sleep apnea causes you to be sleepy, avoid operating a motor vehicle or other machinery potentially dangerous to yourself or others until you are adequately treated
If you are being treated with CPAP, always take your CPAP machine with you if you are being admitted to a hospital.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quit all that. Omg then what. Life would be too boring to go on. I take about all of those things. But if the pap machine is stopping your sleep from fragmenting. That would be the real problem. Well, my situation is a little different i guess. I did stop taking the opiates for 4 months. This is before i got diagnosed and got on the pap. I was suspicious of the opiates because hey are a respitory depressant. 4 months later. I was just as exhausted. That wasent it. Im still new to the cpap. Only one month. Did you experience fatigue from the alnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2012, 03:52 PM)zonk Wrote: but PAP is nothing to be embarrassed about.
Exactly right nothing to be embarrassed about.
I don,t have a problem telling anyone who prepared to listen that I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
My names DC and I have sleep apnea....

I also smoke at times, drink at times, go without my machine at times and I can also be a crabbit bawbag Too-funny Dielaughing

If I die, I'll do it enjoying myself Thanks

Ps this is not recommended for anyone else (Rebel with a cause)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2012, 06:05 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: My names DC and I have sleep apnea....
Enchante monsieur Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2012, 03:40 PM)zonk Wrote: If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, Dr. Philip R. Westbrook, Chief Medical Officer of Advanced Brain Monitoring, Inc., recommends you do the following:

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,342 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.