Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tips for sleeping with full face mask and scc
Tips for sleeping with full face mask and scc
Hello. Just looking for any tips for sleeping. I currently use a FFM and SCC. I like to sleep on my side but find the mask pushes on the pillow which potentially causes a leak. I also find the SCC puts my neck at an odd angle. I've bought a special apneoa pillow that has side cutouts - but, again, the collar doesn't quite sit right. 

I'd love any tips or your home remedies please. If there is already an info hub or past thread, please link and delete.

For reference - I have tried nasal pillows, nose masks, mouth tape, chin strap, you name it. FFM is what is what is working the best so far. 

Thankyou!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tips for sleeping with full face mask and scc
I have had some (not terrific) success with adjusting the pillow so that your head is on the end of the pillow and the nose cushion sticks out past the end. That way the pillow does push on the mask cushion, although the head is supported by the pillow. Hope this works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried the Fisher & Paykel Vitera, their full face? Pretty easy to maintain seal when the pillow nudges it. I sleep left side a lot and it flexes but keeps the seal quite well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How does the cervical collar fit on you? I have a 13" neck and the collar which is the right height is ridiculously too long on me. I've cut 4-1/2 inches of foam out and then sewed the stockinette back together and it works much better! (I can supply more detailed instructions for that Smile )

I also have problems with the sides of the collar popping the magnets off the FFM -- because my head/face/neck is all small the back of the headgear is actually underneath the collar and the lower straps are underneath the collar, too.

My experience is that the collar keeps my mouth closed, and that the nasal mask just reduces the total surface area that needs to stay sealed.

I still have flow limits, although they don't usually proceed to events. But I tend to open my mouth in reaction to the flow limits, and then THAT wakes me up.

So it's a balancing act for sure! I'm looking to see if I can get a prescription for a bipap. If I can get the flow limits to calm down then I'm looking to stick with the nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your replies. I've tried a few. As of last week I've decided to give my nose mask another go and have been using mouth tape. Mouth tape freaked me out originally, but since experimenting with loads of FFM this year, I'm actually fine with it. My OSCAR results have been really really good. So I'm sticking with this approach for now.

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,362 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 208 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.