Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tips to manage pre-CPAP
Tips to manage pre-CPAP
I visited my new Psychologist, and he suggested Sleep Apnea might be the cause of my issues. He referred me internally to a Home Sleep Study. The home sleep study indicated 37 events per hour, or 37 AHI. He referred me externally to a sleep doctor to have a CPAP prescribed, and that doctor is apparently not going to prescribe anything on the first consultation.

Now I'm kinda stuck here, waiting an unknown amount of time until I can get a CPAP machine. Is there anything I can do to help mitigate the symptoms?

I tried sleeping on my side last night, since I don't know how directional my apnea is, however I woke up multiple times throughout the night sweating and heart racing either on my stomach or back and had to reposition. I'm going to modify a t-shirt to have front and back pockets for tennis balls to hopefully do better tonight.

Anything else I can try that has proven results?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tips to manage pre-CPAP
You can try a wedge, or somehow elevating the head of your bed.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great point by Sleepster.  You could try sleeping in a recliner in the mean time also.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
If you choose to elevate, make sure it's your whole TORSO and not just your head. 
A recliner, adjustable bed, or a wedge as noted above.

If you just elevate your head, as in extra pillows, etc, you'll be making things worse as this tends to close your airway.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Willaien, many members here have found that a soft cervical collar helps also.  Basically, it keeps the neck straight at night and prevents the chin from "tucking" towards the chest (which can cause partial or even complete airway obstruction).  

As far as getting the correct size, most give a measurement of their height.  Try to guess what height would touch both your upper chest and your chin and prevent your chin from moving.  A ruler or tape measure would be helpful.  Also, if a soft cervical collar comes in a S, M, L, or XL, then I have found it easier to pick the right size.  It does not have to be real tight when wearing it either.  It can fit a little bit loose.  

Medical supply stores, probably pharmacies and possibly Walmart, etc. carry them.  Can order one from amazon, etc. if you want to wait a few days.  Fairly low cost if it does not work.  It is 100% your decision if you want to purchase one or not.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips. I went out and bought wedge pillow to raise my head and upper back and a soft cervical collar from the local walgreens. I assume the idea is that the wedge pillow will allow me to back sleep with less obstruction?

I'll try the collar and the wedge pillow tonight and see if that helps. It'd be great if I had some sort of hard data aside from how often I remember waking up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Changing too many things at once may have been a mistake. Really tired this morning and I have no way of knowing which thing disrupted my sleep. Going to try just the wedge tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 231 39 minutes ago
Last Post: jake79
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 65 2,287 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,394 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 353 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,821 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 7,834 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  Tips for adjusting chin strap? TiredTom111 8 1,379 09-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Bluesv6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.