Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tired after waking up
RE: Tired after waking up
Welcome to the board! OpalRose has some great advice there about tweaking your pressure a bit. Best of luck on your cpap journey!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Darth, buddy!!! You're doing great!

It'll take a little while for your body to begin reversing the trends of your apnea. But I suspect if you haven't already very shortly you'll realize just how valuable this therapy treatment is to you.

I agree with Opal (I taught her well) that raising the bottom end would be a good idea. I was thinking to 7, but 8 with an epr of 2 sounds good too. I like a nice, tight range from low to high on pressure. I think you're well on your way to that range, and that will allow you the joys of being able to sleep on your back, on your side, on your head if you want.

Good job getting started with the therapy.

Sorry about the death star thing.............
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2015, 05:43 PM)trailrider Wrote: Darth, congrats on your great numbers! Many others take a while to reach those! You may continue to feel tired for some time though. Your body will like this new oxygenation and simply decide it wants more. Your job is to keep this up and keep your body, brain, and organs with their oxygen. The tired feeling will pass, and one day you will realize you have way more energy than before.

Download Sleepy head to watch your own stats, but use them as an indicator, not a report card.

Thanks!. Already using Sleepyhead, will also try ResScan. And I guess I have to be patient Smile
(04-26-2015, 06:43 PM)truetopath Wrote: Welcome to the board! OpalRose has some great advice there about tweaking your pressure a bit. Best of luck on your cpap journey!

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2015, 05:24 PM)OpalRose Wrote: The EPR is a pressure relief setting when exhaling. The settings are 1,2, and 3.
An example... A starting pressure of 10 with an EPR setting of 2 would drop your pressure to 8 when exhaling. This is a comfort feature, as some find it hard to breath out against higher pressures. It is probably not set up on your machine, and you may not need it.

You should request the Clinical manual for your machine. See top of page.
Then if and when you need to change settings, this will explain how to do so.

Got the manual, and found it was set at 3. Changed it to 2 last night. Not sure if it helped as I didnt feel a difference, but will keep monitoring

(04-26-2015, 06:54 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Hey Darth, buddy!!! You're doing great!

It'll take a little while for your body to begin reversing the trends of your apnea. But I suspect if you haven't already very shortly you'll realize just how valuable this therapy treatment is to you.

I agree with Opal (I taught her well) that raising the bottom end would be a good idea. I was thinking to 7, but 8 with an epr of 2 sounds good too. I like a nice, tight range from low to high on pressure. I think you're well on your way to that range, and that will allow you the joys of being able to sleep on your back, on your side, on your head if you want.

Good job getting started with the therapy.

Thanks! I disabled ramp up, and then I tried both 8 and 7 at the bottom end, but felt as if there was too much pressure in my nose. It was uncomfortable and I couldnt get to sleep so I shifted it back to 5. I then fell asleep without ramp up.

Is raising the lower level better with ramp up time or is keeping the lower level at a low value and then having the auto algorithm of the machine manage it?

Also, is an Oximeter a worthwhile investment? Ive heard both arguments for and against it. I got the list of compatible oximeters from the sleepyhead wiki, but my main issue with oximeters is that the finger clip makes my fingertip numb and it irritates me so much that I cant sleep.

(04-26-2015, 06:54 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Sorry about the death star thing.............

[OMINOUS VOICE] THERE ARE MORE! [/OMINOUS VOICE]
Post Reply Post Reply
it looks like your max pressure was 15 -- the top end of what you have set! does 15 correlate with leaks or with events? how long did you spend at 15?

oh, and btw it may take some time to feel rested. For me, the first week was a slowly increasing delta between waking (amazingly alert compared to before) and feeling like I *HAD* to get back to bed asap! It has been almost 6 mo and I am finally feeling less tired, and the nature of my sleep patterns is now changing (more REM)

(another starwars fan... haha)
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2015, 12:03 PM)DariaVader Wrote: it looks like your max pressure was 15 -- the top end of what you have set! does 15 correlate with leaks or with events? how long did you spend at 15?

oh, and btw it may take some time to feel rested. For me, the first week was a slowly increasing delta between waking (amazingly alert compared to before) and feeling like I *HAD* to get back to bed asap! It has been almost 6 mo and I am finally feeling less tired, and the nature of my sleep patterns is now changing (more REM)

(another starwars fan... haha)

Not sure why the auto machine ramps up to 15. The titration study suggested 13 for when I was on my back, and 8 when I was on my side. However, the AS10 ramps up to 11/12 on my side and 13-15 when I am on my back.

Last night was the weridest of all. I felt more tired in the morning than ever before. Looking at my stats in sleepyhead, I did not have any significant leaks(95% 2.4), and my AHI was 4.9 as well.

Im thinking I should try sleeping on my back, fix the pressure at 13, add a ramp up because 13 feels uncomfortable straight when starting, and see how it goes... The only issue I have is that if I turn to my side, I will have more pressure than I need... Are there any negative ramifications of overpressure?

P.S.: Love your username Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Graphs from last night:

s7.postimg.org/53y0mghrv/main.jpg

s2.postimg.org/lixo7q349/events.jpg

s4.postimg.org/w1sslwy0t/session_times.jpg

As an added note, I have never woken up this frequently at night in my life before.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 02:14 PM)darth_vapor Wrote: Im thinking I should try sleeping on my back, fix the pressure at 13, add a ramp up because 13 feels uncomfortable straight when starting, and see how it goes... The only issue I have is that if I turn to my side, I will have more pressure than I need... Are there any negative ramifications of overpressure?

Well, there is a slim possibility that the additional pressure could cause you to blow holes in the ends of your socks. But that's really unlikely.

Truthfully, I don't see a problem with your pressure fixed at 13. I think I'd rather see an apap range of say 10 - 13, but a fixed cpap will not hurt you as a test.

The goal of being able to comfortably sleep on your back or on your side is one worth pursuing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Now that I've looked at your results from last night I think I would mod my suggested settings to 10-14, with an epr of 2.

You're really looking pretty good as far as the results are concerned. I think the CA's will go away once you get the bottom end up a little and after a couple of days. You're flow limit is still pretty edgy, I think that too may smooth out with the increase in the minimum pressure.

As to the waking up so much? Yeah, that's a phenomomenemen I call the "cave man syndrome." What happens is you are finally getting some good quality sleep, so your primitive brain wakes you up every little bit so you can look around the cave and make sure everything is ok. That'll ease off soon.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 03:37 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Now that I've looked at your results from last night I think I would mod my suggested settings to 10-14, with an epr of 2.

You're really looking pretty good as far as the results are concerned. I think the CA's will go away once you get the bottom end up a little and after a couple of days. You're flow limit is still pretty edgy, I think that too may smooth out with the increase in the minimum pressure.

As to the waking up so much? Yeah, that's a phenomomenemen I call the "cave man syndrome." What happens is you are finally getting some good quality sleep, so your primitive brain wakes you up every little bit so you can look around the cave and make sure everything is ok. That'll ease off soon.

Thanks for the advice, I will try this out tonight!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 1 48 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 0 24 1 hour ago
Last Post: EntRESTo
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 180 10 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 174 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 130 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.