Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: Titatration Preference: In home or lab?
(12-05-2013 10:35 AM)simplysara Wrote:  I've rattled on a bit here, but my main question is what you recommend/prefer as far as in home/automated titration vs. doing it in the lab.
I prefer titration done at home in my own bed but my apnea is obstructive and not central or something else

I,m not a doctor and don,t need to be one but the people who designed my machine are doctors, mathematicians, engineers, scientists, etc ..
My own doctor is not of them, he rely on the information from the machine which I can also easily obtain from machine LCD screen sleep report or/and software .. its not rocket science

Beside data capable machine, trialing half dozen or so of different masks is important and even more important
12-05-2013 06:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
simplysara Offline

Members

Machine: Not yet
Mask Make & Model: not yet
Humidifier: not yet
CPAP Pressure: not yet
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Apnea/CPAP Newbie

Sex: Female

Thank you all for your input! I guess we'll wait and see what the insurance says. I feel better knowing there are pros and cons both ways, that it's basically to get the baseline figured out, and let the auto-machine do it's thing once I get it home. This is a daunting adventure and it sure helps to know I'm not alone.
12-05-2013 10:00 PM
Nozzelnut Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8-14 Auto
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Another reason to do the in lab titration is the variety of different masks to try on. It's kind of difficult to sit with customer rep at your DME and just pick a mask that you like or think would work. Do you know if you breathe through your nose only? That might be something to think about if you go the home route.

I know I'm a mouth breather; so that narrowed down my choices considerably. I'm not ruling out trying a nasal pillow type mask but for now the FFM is doing OK.
12-06-2013 05:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(12-06-2013 05:24 PM)Nozzelnut Wrote:  I know I'm a mouth breather; so that narrowed down my choices considerably. I'm not ruling out trying a nasal pillow type mask but for now the FFM is doing OK.

I am a mouth breather as well and have used a ffm for almost 3 years with a whole lot of trouble that has just recently been resolved by the sleep lab that I have a sleep study with next week bringing me 10 masks to try on (my DME doesn't let you try on masks and have a limited selection on mannequin heads to look at but don't try on). I chose the wisp and they also gave me a chin strap and it has been awesome and so much better for me than a ffm. My leaks are way down and in normal limits finally, my AHI is very low and a lot of times zero. I still wake up a few times but most of the time, unless I want a drink, I can go right back to sleep. My pressure is down as well which is a great thing for me. My snoring is way down too. The chin strap I have is not like the common one my DME has, it is like the SP Chad. I did have a stuffy nose on Wednesday last week and used Patanase and it cleared up so I could use the nasal mask.

I can get a drink without taking of a mask, can sneeze without taking off the mask. The headgear is so much better than the one I had with all 3 ffm that I had tried.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 07:15 PM by me50.)
12-06-2013 06:18 PM
Surly Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PRS1 60 Series REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift FX Nano
Humidifier: PRS1 60 Series Heated Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 14.5 Opti Start - 18 (APAP)

Other Comments: Using latest unstable version of SleepyHead for Mac

If in home titration only involves typical APAP machine data your sleep Dr will be unable to discern when you're actually sleeping. The downside being that events that your APAP machine detects while you're awake are not excluded from the result.
12-13-2013 12:41 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
frustrated Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed Autoset S8
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quatro Air
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5 - 15
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

I had such a terrible time trying to sleep in my two sleep studies that I only slept after taking sleeping pills... Which I never do in real life. However, my titration study was in the lab and I slept fairly well. Without pills. I also believe the pills made my in-lab AHI reading worse than it actually is.

If I ever have to do a sleep study again it will be in home. I simply could not handle all the constricting connections.

Now I am on an auto pap and my pressures are never as high as they were in the lab. They are about 3 cm less, consistently. So I personally and anecdotally believe that the lab environment is not a good measure of one's actual sleep.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2013 11:24 AM by frustrated.)
12-13-2013 11:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can home care provider make our machine unusable? LPN2012 10 366 12-01-2016 05:22 AM
Last Post: LPN2012
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 14 718 10-18-2016 05:02 PM
Last Post: robertbuckley
  home sleep study problem garretdl 5 373 10-14-2016 02:39 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Sleep Study Mask vs. Home-use Mask thecpapguy! 1 283 09-19-2016 06:42 PM
Last Post: allenh
  Home test and more GotIt 10 534 09-16-2016 10:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sleep Center versus At Home Stats richb 13 657 08-09-2016 01:03 AM
Last Post: chill
  Left My Water Chamber At Home BDay33 8 725 08-08-2016 06:41 PM