Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Titrating Down: Now seeing a new Exp waveform
Titrating Down: Now seeing a new Exp waveform
Hi all

Apologies for the long post but I thought I would share this here, and  look for comments about the new waveform I am seeing on Expiration, that leads up to OSA.

This is a representative night with my new waveform.
Overview:
[attachment=25069]
Close up:
[attachment=25070]

Background:

I have been on APAP now for most of 2020 so far, and doing really well, apart from some hiccups here and there.

My Titration study showed "optimal CPAP" of 7 - 8 cm H20 but I have been using  higher pressures than that to avoid any recurrence of the events that led me to PAP therapy in the first instance (signature).

Lately I have been having headaches and chest discomfort/rawness/strain (Doc said palpitations is a valid word for this) on waking during the night or in the morning, which, looking at my data in Excel, correlate well with 95% EPAPs in the higher range.

After my Respiratory Physician confirmed no cardiac conditions (CTCA and Stress Echo all OK) he indicated it was time I self-titrated my pressures down, and wouldn't be too concerned until my AHI approached 10 or so, depending on how I felt of course. He suggested I could reduce my pressures as low at 7 - 8 cm H20 even as CPAP rather than APAP, as per titration study.

So I have been doing that slowly and progressively keeping an eye on my oximeter readings at the same time. I have noticed an interesting new blunted Expiratory waveform which often precedes my remaining OSA's. I interpret this as confirmation that the airways close at the end of expiration, usually leading to or preceding true airways obstruction.
This leads to me believe I may be close to my therapy levels.

No more headaches or palpitations and am feeling really good during the day.

Now, I don't believe the Titration study pressures are my optimal therapy.
(Usual reasons: one night in a strange environment, leads and lines and sensors everywhere, strange bed, weird hospital noises, I still had unhealed vertebral fractures and rotator cuff injuries, and had difficulty finding a comfortable sleep position. These have now largely healed and currently I am sleeping *way* better than ever and would guess a repeat sleep lab study would likely show higher pressures.)

I prefer EPR of 2.
I do use a neck collar.
I do need partial mouth taping with Scunci to control mouth leaks.
I love the combination of Resmed P30i  and N30i interchangeability (is that a word?)

I plan to continue to titrate down as low as I can and see how I go, but in the meantime would appreciate comments from the team about this expiration waveform. Is this anything to be concerned about?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Titrating Down: Now seeing a new Exp waveform
The sharp dip with no sustained flow on expiration is usually expiratory mouth breathing. It may lead to a loss of pressure during expiration and that could result in the OA event you see here. This is remarkably common, and we have seen a lot of threads showing the pattern http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...w-somewhat It can also be an indicator of a more rare palatal prolapse, where the exhale flow is cutoff by a prolapse of the phryngeal veil. We often pull out the image below to show some basic interpretation of the flow rate chart:

[Image: Flow_limitation_images_zpsdb148d1f.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Titrating Down: Now seeing a new Exp waveform
Thank you Sleeprider, I had seen some posts on palatal prolapse, but not registered their significance. I will study them more closely.

It's not there with all my Obstructions and certainly not when my pressures were higher; only appearing now that I am titrating down.

It seems that by lowering my pressure this may predispose to palatal prolapse, since I use nasal pillows/cradles and not FFM. Would a full face mask or hybrid mask reduce this likelihood?

In the meantime I will be interested to see what happens when I lower pressures even further.

If, and it seems most likely, this is palatal prolapse would this be a reason to keep pressures at a level where this does not occur?

Would it help by lowering my EPR from 2 (my most comfortable setting) to 1, or even abolishing it altogether?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 204 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 854 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,337 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What IS this waveform??? CPAPinCAL 2 449 10-21-2023, 08:32 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Waveform Analysis please Morgannon 6 625 05-17-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Morgannon
  Odd Flow Rate Waveform enjoysleep59 4 609 04-22-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: enjoysleep59

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.