Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Allergy Filters for CPAP--New Guy
Allergy Filters for CPAP--New Guy
I have seasonal allergies to most everything &  none of the medications do much for it.  Have noticed those inline filters that go in the hose to filter out bacteria; should also filter pollen.  Also noted that the CPAP's themselves have filters for incoming air.  Any idea which would be better for pollen?  Would the inline filter put backpressure on my CPAP and make it fail prematurely?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Allergy Filters for CPAP--New Guy
There are filters from the manufacture that are designed to help with allergies.  Search for Disposable Hypoallergenic Filters. In addition you can use the anti-bacterial filter you mentioned. Any additional filters in line will have an impact but unless you machine is maxed out it should be able to handle it.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
As I recall, the problem with the inline anti-bacterial filters is that they clog up if they get damp - which they will if you have a humidifier on your machine. They also add some air resistance which must be compensated for by the machine.
I think the hypo-allergenic intake filters would be the best thing to use.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go look on Supplier #1 web site. At the bottom there"s a link to FAQ. Go there and check under supplies. It gives a detail outline on in-line and machine filter types.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
There are "ultrafine" filters, sometimes called hypoallergenic available for most machines that are much more effective for removing pollen and dust as compared to standard filters supplied with the machines. They replace the standard filter, or in some case. are used in conjunction with the standard filter. They are placed at the air inlet to the machine. In line bacterial filters would remove all dust and pollen but there are problems associated with their use. They do increase back pressure significantly. and, according to Resmed, may effect the accuracy of sensor readings.  Also, they are completely blocked  by liquid water (not water vapor), so if you use a humidifier and have rainout problems air flow my be completely stopped.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a commercial ion HEPA air filter machine in my bedroom, and the door stays shut so the cat can't go in. If you have allergies year around like I do, it's best to eliminate the majority of dust and such that floats around in the air. If you do that, you don't need anything on your cpap machine other than the standard filter.

I got lucky and bought it only 1 year old at Salvation Army for $35 some years ago, because I never could have afforded it brand new (over $1,000). I just had to replace the HEPA filters, ($75) and it was good to go.

You don't really need one as good as that, but one good enough shouldn't run more that a couple hundred $$. You spend a lot of time in your bedroom, so it's worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 87 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 396 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,467 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 829 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 508 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 526 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.