Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Titration Study Results
RE: Titration Study Results
(04-21-2021, 09:33 PM)Geer1 Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 09:17 PM)hookedonstitch Wrote: Probably getting ahead of myself here but how do I talk to my Dr. about this when it has never been mentioned?  I will try for a few nights to a week to see what pressure the APAP wants to settle on.  

Even if I set it to 12, if it's not needed for an event it shouldn't go that high?  Am I understanding this the right way?

You probably don't... Most doctors don't try to treat flow limitations and will think you are crazy if you ask for bilevel to treat them, especially when you have a titration study saying your apnea is treated. Most people end up buying machine out of pocket and self titrating. First step is seeing if higher pressure fixes the flow limitations as it might.

Resmed's algorithm increases pressure after apneas, hypopneas and flow limitations. When set on auto mode if the higher pressure helps it will reduce flow limitations until they are not an issue and then the machine will stop increasing pressure unless more apnea/hypopnea/flow limitations occur. If no flow limitations are occurring it will then try lowering pressure slowly until apnea/hypopnea or flow limitations cause it to increase again.
If I have asthma (which is now back under investigation) can I still use an APAP?  Now that my heart tests are normal, I will have to revisit the lungs as the culprit for my breathlessness and wheezing upon exhalation.

My issues with breathing started long before the Sleep Apnea diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2021, 09:56 PM)hookedonstitch Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 09:33 PM)Geer1 Wrote:
(04-21-2021, 09:17 PM)hookedonstitch Wrote: Probably getting ahead of myself here but how do I talk to my Dr. about this when it has never been mentioned?  I will try for a few nights to a week to see what pressure the APAP wants to settle on.  

Even if I set it to 12, if it's not needed for an event it shouldn't go that high?  Am I understanding this the right way?

You probably don't... Most doctors don't try to treat flow limitations and will think you are crazy if you ask for bilevel to treat them, especially when you have a titration study saying your apnea is treated. Most people end up buying machine out of pocket and self titrating. First step is seeing if higher pressure fixes the flow limitations as it might.

Resmed's algorithm increases pressure after apneas, hypopneas and flow limitations. When set on auto mode if the higher pressure helps it will reduce flow limitations until they are not an issue and then the machine will stop increasing pressure unless more apnea/hypopnea/flow limitations occur. If no flow limitations are occurring it will then try lowering pressure slowly until apnea/hypopnea or flow limitations cause it to increase again.
If I have asthma (which is now back under investigation) can I still use an APAP?  Now that my heart tests are normal, I will have to revisit the lungs as the culprit for my breathlessness and wheezing upon exhalation.

My issues with breathing started long before the Sleep Apnea diagnosis.
And unless the Dr. prescribes a BiPAP so that my insurance will cover 95% of the cost I simply cannot afford it.  Here in Canada they are going for over $2000 on average (New).
Post Reply Post Reply
Asthma, COPD, and other respiratory disease can complicate things, but if you're doing well with an AutoSet then I'd not change it. The VAuto may be better if you can get one easily, as it has pressure support and the timing set that might be helpful.

If you're diagnosed with Asthma and it progresses, maybe later you'd possibly need a PAP again like the VAuto unless your status is worsened then you might need more specialized machines like an ST-A.

Going with how you're progressing on an AutoSet, you're likely to do well staying on AutoSet or VAuto at most.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2021, 10:21 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Asthma, COPD, and other respiratory disease can complicate things, but if you're doing well with an AutoSet then I'd not change it. The VAuto may be better if you can get one easily, as it has pressure support and the timing set that might be helpful.

If you're diagnosed with Asthma and it progresses, maybe later you'd possibly need a PAP again like the VAuto unless your status is worsened then you might need more specialized machines like an ST-A.

Going with how you're progressing on an AutoSet, you're likely to do well staying on AutoSet or VAuto at most.

So far I don't notice any worsening by using the Autoset so I will trial some pressure settings and see what happens.  

I really appreciate everyone's feedback.  I'll be back next week for a check in!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ontario Canada, get the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset for Her. It is on the health care list as a simple CPAP (it isn't) but it will be better for you than what you have.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2021, 10:59 PM)Gideon Wrote: Ontario Canada, get the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset for Her.  It is on the health care list as a simple CPAP (it isn't) but it will be better for you than what you have.

This is the machine I was given, I will fix the info in my profile.  I wasn't given a choice when I got it but I'm thankful that I got a good machine and only paid $50 out of my own pocket for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have my initial sleep study report and my titration study and could really use some feedback on both.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Recent waste of time (I mean titration study)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I was also given a sleeping tablet with the titration study
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep that supposed titration was like a joke. Starting at 6, ending at 6 with apparently no changes. Even blind squirrels can see that isn't a titration.

OK that aside, what do you feel you lack as is? Are you feeling like your therapy is working OK? What do you want to improve?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.