Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To CPAP or not to CPAP (sleep study results)
To CPAP or not to CPAP (sleep study results)
Hello, thanks in advance for any advice.

Long story short, I've been dealing with fatigue, brain fog, and never waking feeling rested for about 2 years. I had an at-home sleep study, showed mild apnea. Used an APAP for a few months, didn't feel any better.

Got insurance, did an in-lab sleep study...showed mild apnea (study results attached). I've now been using my Airsense10 for 3 weeks...and I don't feel any better. My average AHI on this machine is .54

Previous to using a machine I did better at sleeping the whole night through. Now that I'm back on a machine, I wake 3-4 times every night to adjust the hose briefly and fall quickly back to sleep.

So my question is...is it better to sleep with a machine to treat MILD APNEA while it disrupts my sleep several times a night? Or would I be better off not using a machine at all in order to get a more thorough night of uninterrupted sleep?

One doctor told me yes, it's a big deal, I need CPAP therapy for long term heart health since I desaturated to 89. Other doctor was more "meh..."

Thanks again for any advice... I hate taking with nothing to contribute to this forum. I can offer advice on visiting Yellowstone...send me a message on instagram to PictureYellowstone.

(sorry, apparently I can only do 3 attachments at a time...newbie here)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: To CPAP or not to CPAP (sleep study results)
Here are a few thoughts. You are using a machine that almost no one else knows about or uses, and that doesn't provide any useful efficacy data to provide feedback on your therapy or why there might be a problem. Your sleep study showed that half of your events were central and half obstructive, and the huge remainder is hypopnea. I don't know who told you that this is "mild" apnea. Your total AHI is 95 events per hour based on 3% oxygen desaturation or 35 per hour based on the more severe 4% desaturation. This is severe to very-severe sleep apnea. It is extremely common for central apnea to become the prevalent problem and worse once you start therapy with CPAP, and I strongly suspect your diagnosis is wrong, and you actually may have complex sleep apnea. We don't and can't know because you have no data.

If you can swap to a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, then you will get that data and feedback, and we can quickly determine the problem. My recommendation to you is to call your doctor and explain that the therapy is NOT working as expected, and detail your symptoms. Request a clinical titration, and express your concern that your apnea may be central or complex based on your test. This means you want a CPAP titration with instructions to move to ASV if CPAP does not achieve efficacy. THAT is what you want to request, however the swap to the Resmed Autoset will more than suffice to identify the problem, so that is a good alternative. Your situation may be more urgent to get appropriate therapy than you think, and it doesn't help your DME issued the travel CPAP machine to a new user and that is completely inappropriate for long-term therapy without a primary home CPAP. The Z2 CPAP is fine for temporary travel use but not as a primary machine. If this was your request, ask your DME if you can swap it out for a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What you have given us is one night snap shot. To really help we need to see more. Download OSCAR (free at the top of the site) put a SD card in it and give us the charts and information it will supply.

If you like self help only you can look at this wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...OSCAR_Help
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
No that I ranted...Go to Breas and download the dataviewer program. Maybe we can figure out what's going on.
https://support.breas.us/support/solutions Go to Downloads
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider- the op stated “ Got insurance, did an in-lab sleep study...showed mild apnea (study results attached). I've now been using my Airsense10 for 3 weeks...and I don't feel any better. My average AHI on this machine is .54”.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I had originally mis-read number of events vs index and modified my posts. I think a different machine like the Autoset would be more comfortable and less disruptive to your sleep. It's certainly quieter. It will be much easier to optimize your therapy and reduce your symptoms with the Resmed Autoset, and it is reasonably portable. The biggest difference is the ability to use bilevel pressure to resolve flow limitations which may be what the Z2 is missing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all, I apologize, I hadn't updated my profile. It now reads properly Airsense 10 Autoset.

The noise doesn't bother me at all. I've slept with a box fan on high for as long as I can remember. Maybe I'm just a light sleeper.

I'm still working on figuring out how to upload my data to Oscar from the past 3 weeks (daily view says "there is no data to graph, summary only") Am I doing something wrong there? I'm on a Mac, not PC...
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, that changes things. You seem to have Oscar. If you post a chart or two, I bet we can do better than that first off-target post. I don't usually swing and miss, but that was a good example of what can happen. Anyway, post Daily Details, and use the wiki for format http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Was an SD in the AutoSet before you slept for night/nights...? What I mean is if you slept with the PAP on last night, the SD would have needed to be in the card slot on the AutoSet last night to capture data. It cannot capture detailed data after the fact.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SD94, card will be in machine tonight and I'll report back tmrw. Thanks again all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 29 527 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 1 50 3 hours ago
Last Post: Ostrich
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 6 147 Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 512 Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 226 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 170 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.