Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To CPAP or not to CPAP (sleep study results)
RE: To CPAP or not to CPAP (sleep study results)
Some thoughts while we await some useful data:

a. The nature of your apnea will become more apparent as time goes on, but unfortunately the nature of apnea is that it does not improve over time.  If anything, it gets worse, especially if you 'let it go' for a bit until you get in a bad way;

b. The sooner you grapple with the novelty, the anxiety, the mystery, and the reality of your disorder, the sooner you will master both its manifestation and your autonomous response to it.  IOW, get at it right away, become used the machine and the apnea you have that it treats, and accept that it's almost certain to be a lifelong condition, much like atrial fibrillation and other heart arrhythmias.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, SD card in, here's two screen shots of sleep results (I hope I followed directions right...) one with FULL mask, one with Nasal Pillows.

I dislike the full face mask because I'm a drooler and it turns into a spit cup by morning. But apparently I leak with the nasal pillows? I've ordered a chin strap to see if I can keep my mouth shut at night and enhance sleep quality with nasal pillows.

But again...if I can get more input on my actual sleep study. Any more opinions on when to treat "Mild Apnea" with a machine/tubes that also disrupt my sleep? Is it a catch 22? IE,

Sleep through the night without a machine, with mild apnea, and occasionally desaturate to 89...

'VS'

Sleep with a machine, stop desaturating, but wake up several times a night while tossing and turning and having to adjust the tubes? 

Thanks again for any input.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Keep trying with the nasal pillows and you will get a handle on the leaks. The collar or a chinstrap should help. Your results are good with both, and I think some events with the nasal mask and the increased flow limitations are actually the result of leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2021, 01:59 PM)PictureYellowstone Wrote: Sleep through the night without a machine, with mild apnea, and occasionally desaturate to 89...

As Sleeprider said, you do not have mild apnea.  Your AHI during the sleep study was 14.5, this is considered moderate apnea. You had almost 15 events each hour, or one every 4 minutes. That's a bunch. I suggest you stay with the nasal pillows, at least for awhile. I diisliiked them at first, but they've "grown on me" and they're now my go-to CPAP choice. I don't know what you are using, maybe try P30i with chin strap and or tape. Lots of help and information on this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 2 61 5 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 117 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 343 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.