Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you Ramp?
This poll is closed.
Yes- I prefer the ramp feature
32.50%
13 32.50%
No- I dislike the ramp deature
55.00%
22 55.00%
I could take it or leave it
12.50%
5 12.50%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

To Ramp or Not To Ramp? Is that the question?
To Ramp or Not To Ramp? Is that the question?
Hey everyone,

Being a new CPAP user, I have a question about ramping from those that have experience with it.

For my fist night, I used the ramp feature and found at first I could breath well, but then as I dozed off (and presumable the pressure increased) I found myself waking up with a slight difficulty with breathing, nothing significant though, kinda just uncomfortable). It seems that some people like ramp and others don't.

My question is, for those who have tried both, do you prefer the ramp or not and why?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: To Ramp or Not To Ramp? Is that the question?
I don't need nor like using the ramp - but then I've been on my dream machine for many, many years and expect and am comforted by the air flow.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the majority of the people who post are on auto - and in the case of auto, ramp is not very helpful. It might help you to get used to a higher pressure while awake, tho
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Amie87,
Ramp is a comfort feature. Most people use it to help them to relax and/orget used to their machines, and once they get used to them, they either decrease it or just turn ramp off. I don't use ramp, because I have gotten used to my machine and don't find that I need it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, I'm surprised by the polls so far. I just assumed more people would be using the ramp feature.

My max setting atm is only a 7 right now and it didn't seem to be too much when the lady at the clinic tested it (she tested up to 10). I'm contemplating turning it off tonight and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2014, 06:09 PM)Amie87 Wrote: Wow, I'm surprised by the polls so far. I just assumed more people would be using the ramp feature.

My max setting atm is only a 7 right now and it didn't seem to be too much when the lady at the clinic tested it (she tested up to 10). I'm contemplating turning it off tonight and see if that helps.

I started using auto ramp, after 1 week I set the ramp for 5 minutes and I seem to be doing fine with that, I also don't have a fixed pressure like your 7 , mine runs from 9 - 15 so that could make a difference , so I guess I like the ramp feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Put me down for no ramp. I've never used the ramp feature but would rather get the pressure going right away so I can know if I've knocked my mask into leaking mode while I'm trying to get comfortable. I figure I'm incompetent enough when fully awake so fixing a leak when I'm half asleep is best avoided if possible. Besides, when I tried it, I found that I was lying awake waiting for it to jack up the pressure and the suspense was killing me.
Post Reply Post Reply
At the beginning when I was using a FFM, I used the ramp because that's just how my RT got me started using CPAP. It was set to ramp from 4.1 to my set pressure (9) over 20 minutes, but when I fell asleep during that time, it went ahead and moved up to 9 without waiting the 20 minutes.

Since using nasal pillows, however (since December 3), I haven't used the ramp feature. Once I have the pillows in place, I can't even feel the air at 9 anyway.

Lamb
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
Amie, you want to avoid making many or any changes when you first start. You need time for your body to get used to what's going on.

That said, the ramp issue is a little different. As has been reported it is classified as a "comfort" issue. But while it's taking it's sweet time ramping up to your therapeutic pressure you could have apnea events that are not treated, and those could result in you waking up before you go to sleep.

You're on cpap of 7 right now which is pretty low. But I would suggest you stay where you're at for a few days before you even think about a change. I believe you have mentioned your AHI score was 6.5? That's good for brand new, but not as good as we want it to be. So watch it over the course of a few days and see where it goes. If it doesn't shrink to a very low level, then it will probably be a good idea to increase the pressure by 1 cm at a time to see where your sweet spot is.

But the ramp? You can dump it if you want.

The downside might be you haven't gotten used to sleeping with the incoming pressure of 7 just yet, so you might have a little trouble falling asleep. Setting the EPR could help that, but I don't think I'd advise you to do that just yet.

Now. What was the question? Do I use ramp? I did once. Then I turned it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2014, 08:07 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Amie, you want to avoid making many or any changes when you first start. You need time for your body to get used to what's going on.

That said, the ramp issue is a little different. As has been reported it is classified as a "comfort" issue. But while it's taking it's sweet time ramping up to your therapeutic pressure you could have apnea events that are not treated, and those could result in you waking up before you go to sleep.

You're on cpap of 7 right now which is pretty low. But I would suggest you stay where you're at for a few days before you even think about a change. I believe you have mentioned your AHI score was 6.5? That's good for brand new, but not as good as we want it to be. So watch it over the course of a few days and see where it goes. If it doesn't shrink to a very low level, then it will probably be a good idea to increase the pressure by 1 cm at a time to see where your sweet spot is.

But the ramp? You can dump it if you want.

The downside might be you haven't gotten used to sleeping with the incoming pressure of 7 just yet, so you might have a little trouble falling asleep. Setting the EPR could help that, but I don't think I'd advise you to do that just yet.

Now. What was the question? Do I use ramp? I did once. Then I turned it off.

I'm not planning on changing any of the prescription settings (the pressure), it's just a matter of whether or not I should do the ramp thing. I checked and it's set to auto, so it's suppose to ramp up when I fall asleep. I'm not sure if it happens really quickly or not. But the lady at the clinic showed me how to turn the ramp off, and I think I'll try that tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 399 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 600 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Equipment] Turn off Ramp. CactusJack 4 9,193 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: DISleepApnea
  Ramp Time JeffL 4 606 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Machine noise during ramp-up. rfkennard 0 410 01-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: rfkennard
  Reverse ramp feature? McPhearson99 9 972 01-01-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Does machine kick In if you have apnea during ramp time Scott12579 4 1,056 08-21-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.