Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you Ramp?
This poll is closed.
Yes- I prefer the ramp feature
32.50%
13 32.50%
No- I dislike the ramp deature
55.00%
22 55.00%
I could take it or leave it
12.50%
5 12.50%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

To Ramp or Not To Ramp? Is that the question?
RE: To Ramp or Not To Ramp? Is that the question?
With your pressure being "just" 7, you are better off with it turned off.

Ramp starts at the lowest pressure, which is 4, then increases to the treatment pressure (or minimum pressure if auto). So for you, it's not really doing much as far as slowly introducing you to the pressure as it is designed to do.

Sit up during the day and try it first. Turn off the ramp, put on the mask, and turn on the machine. You should be doing this anyway just to get used to the whole experience. Wear it for half an hour or so while you read or watch TV. If you need to, lift the mask off your face so you can breathe (psychology thing) then put it back on. It really only takes a day/night or two to get used to it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
My pressures are pretty high and I can't get to sleep once they kick in, so the ramp is a godsend for me. I have it set to 10 minutes, which is usually enough for me to drop off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't use the ramp unless you have to.

If you need it at the beginning, try to wean yourself off of it.

You'll usually find the pressure doesn't bother you after you get used to sleeping with it. It also helps adjust the mask to avoid leaks. With ramp, you may get leaks once the pressure ramps up.

However, if you need it long term, use it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been using APAP since 2008 and used the ramp for the first week or so, then shut it off. It's not a problem for me to start at therapeutic pressure, and that is my preference. I found ramp to be a bit suffocating.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good question, thanks for asking
There is no right or wrong answer or brownie points for that matter, do what you have to do Coffee

I don't use Ramp but don't dislike it either
I feel comfortable start at 9 and let the AutoSet do its own thing
It would been different story had my pressure been 15 or higher, then I would definitely appreciate Ramp starting a bit lower (not much lower) than set pressure for 15 or 20 minutes

Edit: oops, forget to vote
voted for the 3rd option, but .... never say never
Post Reply Post Reply
I started on an APAP with wide open 4-20 range. So for me, there was no ramp. But after a few weeks, I raised the minimum to 5. Then to 6 in two weeks. And then to 7 after two weeks. And I do feel relieved to be breathing ample air at 7 vs. the feeling of labored breathing at 4. But I went up slowly otherwise I don't think I could handle 7 on first day.

So in this way, its a sort of a ramp but I tried each starting pressure for at least 2 weeks to get comfortable.

A strategy you can take is (if the A10 Elite) allows it, is to have the ramp start pressure go up 1 notch every 10-14 days. This way, you will soon eliminate the need for a ramp to 7 as you will start off at 7. So do the ramp from 4-7 for 10 days, then do ramp from 5-7 for 10 days. Then 6-7 and then finally no ramp needed at 7.

YMMV.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
never saw the need so never used the ramp
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use the ramp because I when I put my mask on, I like to wiggle it around to eliminate any tendency to leak. That's easier to do if the pressure is at least at the minimum of my auto range.
Post Reply Post Reply
I noticed that some people dislike the ramp feature because they like to check for mask leaks which makes sense. I however, think that they way my mask fits its very hard to get leaks. I've actually played around with it, pulling it out from my face, laying on my side with it pushing in the pillow and what have you and actually found it was difficult to make it leak. I guess I'm lucky the way my face and mask love each other Tongue

After seeing a lot of people dislike ramp or prefer not to use it, I shut it off last night. My therapy pressure (for now) is 7 and it wasn't uncomfortable. It was actually nice to practice breathing with that pressure, and after awhile I was able to relax and doze off. I only woke up two or three times last night, which was a lot less then my first night, and I attribute a lot of that to turning off ramp. I think the ramp was startling me awake because I wasn't use to the higher pressure.

For now, I think I will go without ramp, but I've just started therapy and my actual number may be higher then 7. If it gets much higher, I may find the ramp better, but starting it at the 4 I think doesn't make sense for me personally.

Thanks for all your input Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
It is good that you can use the CPAP without ramp. At your therapeutic pressure there really is not much ramp anyway. There are some whose therapeutic pressure is much higher and utilizing the ramp is nice. It is nice for the ramp feature to not be a necessity. Way to go.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 449 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 645 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Equipment] Turn off Ramp. CactusJack 4 9,390 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: DISleepApnea
  Ramp Time JeffL 4 636 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Machine noise during ramp-up. rfkennard 0 429 01-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: rfkennard
  Reverse ramp feature? McPhearson99 9 1,024 01-01-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Does machine kick In if you have apnea during ramp time Scott12579 4 1,085 08-21-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.