Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you Ramp?
This poll is closed.
Yes- I prefer the ramp feature
32.50%
13 32.50%
No- I dislike the ramp deature
55.00%
22 55.00%
I could take it or leave it
12.50%
5 12.50%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

To Ramp or Not To Ramp? Is that the question?
RE: To Ramp or Not To Ramp? Is that the question?
(12-14-2014, 10:13 AM)Amie87 Wrote: After seeing a lot of people dislike ramp or prefer not to use it, I shut it off last night.
..... but starting it at the 4 I think doesn't make sense for me personally.
Other people preference is not a good indication of what might work or not work for you ... to each his own

You can start Ramp at any number below set pressure, not necessary at 4
Post Reply Post Reply
I am guessing that you are going to end up with a higher pressure to get your AHI even lower. The ramp might be really nice at that point Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the biggest point is that after you get used to it, you don't feel the pressure that much. I start at 16 cm pressure and basically can't feel it any more. I sometimes have to put my hand in the airstream to convince myself it's running.

73 de WX5U
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 10:13 AM)Amie87 Wrote: I noticed that some people dislike the ramp feature because they like to check for mask leaks which makes sense. I however, think that they way my mask fits its very hard to get leaks. I've actually played around with it, pulling it out from my face, laying on my side with it pushing in the pillow and what have you and actually found it was difficult to make it leak. I guess I'm lucky the way my face and mask love each otherBig Grin

Checking for leaks after masking up is apparently more important to those of us who use full face masks. Congrats on being able to use a nasal mask. I agree...you are lucky.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2014, 06:58 AM)JimZZZ Wrote:
(12-14-2014, 10:13 AM)Amie87 Wrote: I noticed that some people dislike the ramp feature because they like to check for mask leaks which makes sense. I however, think that they way my mask fits its very hard to get leaks. I've actually played around with it, pulling it out from my face, laying on my side with it pushing in the pillow and what have you and actually found it was difficult to make it leak. I guess I'm lucky the way my face and mask love each otherBig Grin

Checking for leaks after masking up is apparently more important to those of us who use full face masks. Congrats on being able to use a nasal mask. I agree...you are lucky.

I agree, and I bet it has a lot to do with the shape of a person's face and the way the masks fit was well. I'm really happy that the lady at the clinic was able to pick such a well fitting mask for me. The one picked she said was also great for side sleepers as a lot of her clients find it doesn't move around as much as other nasal masks. (It has the support on your forehead as opposed to the straps that just go at the side of your face.)

I'm thinking about investing in a full face mask in the future as a back up. Idk. I'm thinking it would be good to have when I have nasal stuffiness, but I'm not really sure how CPAP works when your sick. I know I for sure can't use a nasal mask if my sinuses are blocked.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to use the ramp feature, but now, just put the mask on, start the machine (without ramp) and I am asleep within minutes.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
No ramp here, titrated pressure of 18 found ramp at 4-8 to be as annoying as could be. The longer it ramped the worse it was. I needed to adjust to the pressure and ramp wasn't helping. Turned it off and never looked back.

I feel it's like dipping your toes in cold pool water, takes 3x as long instead of just jumping in. But hey I am an all or nothing type of person, if you're gonna do it, I say JUST DO IT! Smile
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder how many (if any) people with a pressure over 10, and been on the machine over a year, ever use the ramp feature any longer? Seems like most folks stop using the ramp once they get used to their machine.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 03:16 AM)Peter_C Wrote: I wonder how many (if any) people with a pressure over 10, and been on the machine over a year, ever use the ramp feature any longer? Seems like most folks stop using the ramp once they get used to their machine.

Well Peter, I'm one. I have the ramp set to 10 minutes, which is just about perfect for me. Five minutes isn't enough, and any longer than 10 would be a waste. I think it's something that everybody needs to determine for themselves.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 05:10 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(12-16-2014, 03:16 AM)Peter_C Wrote: I wonder how many (if any) people with a pressure over 10, and been on the machine over a year, ever use the ramp feature any longer? Seems like most folks stop using the ramp once they get used to their machine.

Well Peter, I'm one. I have the ramp set to 10 minutes, which is just about perfect for me. Five minutes isn't enough, and any longer than 10 would be a waste. I think it's something that everybody needs to determine for themselves.

I have now gone without the ramp for last two nights (out of the total 4 nights I've had the machine) and I must say, I think it's easier and I fall asleep quicker. It may be partly because I'm getting more use to the machine, but my theory is by starting the machine at the therapy pressure, when I wake up during the night the pressure isn't anything new, and I'm use to it so it doesn't bother me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 399 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 600 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Equipment] Turn off Ramp. CactusJack 4 9,193 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: DISleepApnea
  Ramp Time JeffL 4 606 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Machine noise during ramp-up. rfkennard 0 410 01-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: rfkennard
  Reverse ramp feature? McPhearson99 9 972 01-01-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Does machine kick In if you have apnea during ramp time Scott12579 4 1,056 08-21-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.