Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To Sleep More Soundly...Use Sound
To Sleep More Soundly...Use Sound
I posted this in another thread but though to give it a thread all its own to possibly help those in need to come across it easier/faster.

It's all about having trouble falling asleep that may be due to anxiety and/or noise distractions.

For those having poor sleep efficiency, as it is called, I find some background noise makes it easier to ignore all else and fall asleep faster. I hate to get addicted to that but for the meantime it beats spending an hour before the sand man arrives. I've found a web site that offers free colored sound, yes you can get white, pink and brown, and it will run as long as you like for free.

Google freewhitenoise dot com and take a listen. Click the "Simply Noise" button and choose your color.

I like the white version best but YMMV so take a listen to all of them.

If you don't want to keep the puter on all night, you can remove the antenna connector from your TV and get some good white noise and even have the remote control to adjust it. You could also buy a noise machine from Walmart or elsewhere for around $20 that will do the job. I'm planning on testing one from there to see if it does the job, can always return it. I sure don't want something with a detectable repeating loop type of system. Plain old white noise without any change is best, at least for me. YMMV Those rainforest sounds and ocean waves just make me lie there and listen for the start of each loop. Not a good thing...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: To Sleep More Soundly...Use Sound
I know, I'm new school, old I am, but still younger than some here, so here's a thought, go to google play store on your smart phone, download any number of the 50+ sound machines, noise generators, etc., etc., try them out check them out almost all are free and they have time sets so you can set them to go off after 30 minutes or 60 or whatever. This is a very easy no cost method and uses a device you already (should) have with you anyway. They also have many relaxation things and all that good stuff to get you falling asleep restfully and easily.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, That's a good way for those who have the smart stuff.

No doubt others have things that they use that might help add to the list.

The small electric fan has been a winner long before the e-age hit us. I guess it a started with mothers humming to their babies. There is a youtube video of a mommy quieting her crying baby in 15 seconds with the noise of a hand held hair dryer. I hope it was on the cool setting. Shock
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2014, 07:03 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: There is a youtube video of a mommy quieting her crying baby in 15 seconds with the noise of a hand held hair dryer. I hope it was on the cool setting. Shock

There's another youtube video of a youtube video showing a woman recording the woman with the hair dryer on her cell phone, and then playing back that noise to her baby on the cell phone to quiet him Big Grinnie
Post Reply Post Reply
Doesn't work on the puppies -- as soon as we turned on the hair dryer they both were doing everything in their power to escape.

We were at the pet store "u-wash dog wash" today and when Trooper was finished first while we were still working on Sugar, he started barking -- found out that "shooting him in the mouth" with the hair dryer will shut him up instantly.

Several times and he stopped barking.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
That reminds me of the TV commercial where the lady is in the car with her young son and the family dog. She tell her son that they're going to the vet to have the dog fixed. The dog immediately bails out out through the window and hides under the porch. :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2014, 08:18 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: That reminds me of the TV commercial where the lady is in the car with her young son and the family dog. She tell her son that they're going to the vet to have the dog fixed. The dog immediately bails out out through the window and hides under the porch. :grin:

Offtopic

And that reminds me of the little girl in the commercial that says "Mommy what's a virgin?" And after Mommy explains as best as she can the little girl says "So Mommy what's an extra virgin?" and as they zoom out you see the Extra Virgin Olive Oil on the counter!Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Cheers surferdude, I took note when you last posted about 'white noise'.
I have downloaded some free sounds on to my ipad, and you are right it is very relaxing if you are having trouble trying to sleep or just want to relax.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
We ran the vacuum cleaner when the baby was crying. LOL Shuts 'em right up.

As for white noise, I have a small fan that sits right next to my bed. I've always had to have a fan going for the sound, and now that I'm older, I'm always running hot as well, so it takes care of two problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree - noise generators work well for me. My wife snores (refuses to use CPAP for her apnea...) and I can't wear earplugs due to tinnitus (earplugs make the ringing MUCH louder). On the other hand, white noise masks her snores and reduces the ringing I would otherwise hear.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 182 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] DS2 Making whirring sound when inhaling egg 5 1,872 12-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Agent Smith
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.