Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To change or not to change. The ongoing battle of the full face masks and the bridge
RE: To change or not to change. The ongoing battle of the full face masks and the bridge
(04-25-2013, 09:06 PM)muddles Wrote: Zonk, Thanks for the info. I will give these a go. At this moment it doesn't seem like the simplus is outside NZ/Aus yet so will have to wait.
Not yet but soon: http://www.fphcare.com.au/investor/inves...guidance,/

The F&P Simplus mask will initially be available in New Zealand and Australia from April, followed by Canada and Europe and then the United States on receipt of US FDA clearance

Looks promising, more choice of full face masks ... here some info if anyone is interested
[Image: ?width=620]
http://www.fphcare.com.au/sleep-apnea/ma...p-simplus/
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: To change or not to change. The ongoing battle of the full face masks and the bridge
(04-25-2013, 08:03 AM)muddles Wrote: Hi All,

Never really looked around until now about the CPAP machine and head gear that i have.

I went on the therapy about a year ago now and have felt better for the most part about having it. Like a number of people i have now read about i am having issues with the bridge of my nose as well as cutting or rubbing (depending on strap adjustment) on or around my ears.

I have tried the quatro and i am now on a quatro fx. I get leaks and have tried everything to try and resolve issues including the fact that i shave before bed, made sure the mask is not tight and made sure the cushion is inflated but still end up with leaks mainly in the upper nose region around the bridge unless i tighten it up a fair bit.

So i have been looking around at some sellers and i have gotten a couple of recommendations. Both reasonably new to the market the Philips Amara and the F&P Simplus. I have seen a review for the Amara but not for the Simplus. Does anybody as yet have a Simplus mask or a better alternative than a mask change @min $250 Aus for a new mask it isn't something i take lightly when cash is tight however my long term health and the comfort and seal of the mask do carry a lot of weight after waking up most days with a sore red nose and dry eyes from leaks.

Thanks Heaps for any help

Hi Muddles,

I also use a Quattro FX full face mask. Like you, I used to have a very sore red nose problem, so much so that I thought I was going to have to give up with CPAP.

But fortunately, I followed some advice that I saw on a forum somewhere, which was to wash the mask cushion every day with mild soapy water. (I had previously just been rising it in water.) I soak it in hand hot soapy for 10 minutes or so, then rinse it under the tap briefly, and then soak it in non soapy hand hot water for 10 minutes.

That solved the problem instantly and I have not had the problem ever since. That was about a year ago.

So, if you're not doing it already, it's definitely worth trying - and it's certainly cheaper than buying a new mask. I hope it works for you too.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Quatro FX, having had to switch from pillows as my pressure levels became higher., I originally ordered the large as that had been the size I always used. Couldn't get it to seal with out making it too tight and rubbing the bridge of my noise raw. I then used the little sizing tool they send with each mask (duh!). It indicated that I was sized in between the large and the medium, but closer to the medium. Bought the medium, and after some trial and error got a really good fit - no leaks, no discomfort, even with pressures as high as 24. Some strap impressions on face that go away after a half hour (I'll deal with it). Also - wash that puppy daily, or at least use mask wipes. Replace cushion monthly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 142 6 hours ago
Last Post: Yeliad
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 188 8 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,708 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 111 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 348 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 125 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 508 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.