Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To humdify or not to Humidify!!!
Smile 
To humdify or not to Humidify!!!
Hello All,

I finally got my new Airsense 10 / heated tube after some problems at another vendor and this time got the full mask and its so much better than the pillow or nasal.

I have used it for 2 nights and it's very comfortable.

My questions to the panel-group is about the water part-humidifier.

Why should I use it?

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Marc

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: To humdify or not to Humidify!!!
It is for comfort, not therapy.  Some like a like, some like a little, some like none at all.  Sort of like Goldilocks and the porridge. Try it and see what you like and don't.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you use the water?

What is the comfort change? seems like a lot of water going in.

Anyone else have some reasons why its even a option?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the humidifier on the CPAP. I live at almost 10,000 feet and the air is soooooo dry! My sinuses have not been this open in years. The dryness would just clog me up so bad that I would long for humidity and hot showers were never long enough to do any long term good. For years I would run a whole house humidifier to make it bearable but the condensation would be awful on the windows.

For me, the humidifier option is more than just comfort... I feel that it almost a necessity. If your region has enough natural occurring humidity then perhaps it may not be as critical. But regardless of your natural clime, the rushing of the CPAP at still might cause some dryness.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water from the grocery store but only because we have very hard water and I don't want to deal with mineral deposits. Tap water is OK but if it's hard you may get mineral deposits. That's not a serious problem. They can be removed with a solution of water and vinegar.

I find it helps with less dryness in nose, mouth and, and throat, especially during winter when RH in the house is low.

I find if I fill the humidifier, only 1/2 to of the water is used in a night with a fairly high humidity setting.

What is your concern about the amount of water?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
That makes a lot of sense.

I live in Dallas so we have tons of humidity.  I might try it just to see if there is a difference.

Would you out it on Auto?

When I picked up machine we really didnt cover much of it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Not really any issues , was just wondering with all that water going into my nose,

What setting would you use as a test for me in Dallas with lot's of humidity.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would put it on auto. You may not end up needing it, but it certainly can help with dry nasal passages and your mouth. I like SLPingBeauty live at a decent altitude where it's very dry. For me, humidification is necessary!
Post Reply Post Reply
I most definitely need it. My nostrils are always dry, especially in the winter. I have it on auto, and it helps a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water every night in mine.
I tried auto, however, it would typically run dry before the nine to ten hours of sleep I typically get would be done. I tried the setting on 3 then finally set it on 2 which always leaves just a bit of water I must pour out the next morning.

When I tried 4 or 5, I found that the excessive humidity seemed to stuff me up. Also, even with my heated hose turned off, the higher humidity levels would make the air almost too warm for me. I think, without the humidifier working, my nose would get too dry by morning.

So, I run mine manually with heated hose turned off and humidifier on 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in Australia at aound 460 metres (about 1500 feet) above sea level, & we are just moving into a wet autumn (fall) with ambient night temps under 10 deg.C (50 deg.F)

I'm just two weeks into CPAP use, using a hired Airsense 10 with heated tube. The setting as provided was the heated tube set to 27 degrees. C (80 deg.F) & the humidity set to 3. I left it at that for the first week & it was ok, but in the past week have been experimenting. At 5 I experienced some rainout, enough to wake me, despite having the tube rigged up overhead. I think the condensation occurred when it reached the unheated mask (P10) tube. Since then I have been experimenting with reducing both hose temp & humidity settings. If I can cope without any humidity/hose heating managing on solar/battery in my camper will be much easier during our planned future travelling life on the road. Last night I managed on setting 1 humidity & the heated tube turned off, having 'worked my way down to this over consecutive nights. So far so good, fingers crossed. Throat a tiny bit dry, but not bad. Tonight will be the first time with the humidity turned off, but still with water in the container. I want to find *my* limits.

So no answers from me, other than to say that if you have a humidifier you are then in the position to play around & find what suits *you*.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To humidify or not to humidify that ........ SleepinginAdelaide 5 2,619 07-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.