Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To humidify or not to humidify that ........
To humidify or not to humidify that ........
Do any on the list here not use a humidifier and if so, do you use a particular mask style because of the lack of a humidifier. Here it is winter and the nights are ranging between 70 and 97% humidity. I don't seem to react too well to warm moist air in my mask.
Supplementary question: Any thoughts on having the water chamber filled but just allowing airflow without any heat?
Thanks ahead of time and I look forward to your discussion.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: To humidify or not to humidify that ........
Hi SleepinginAdelaide,
If you find that you don't need humidification and you just want to run it in passover mode, if memory serves me right, you just turn off your humidifier but fill up the water chamber.
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, what Trish said. It is called either "passover" or "passive" humidification when the tub has water but the heat is off.

There's a lot of members who don't use their humidifiers. SuperSleeper never has. I use mine in the winter due to the dry heat we use but don't in the summer because of the humidity of the US South. If I'm being bothered by allergies, I will use the humidifier in "passover" mode.

The humidifier is strictly a comfort issue. Do whatever you need to do to be comfortable. The idea is to use the machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
SuperSleeper uses nasal pillows and don,t use humidifier, it works for him, definitely don,t works for me .. everyone is different
You don,t wan to heat the humidifier without water in the tank, you can use use humidifier as Trish talk about in "passover mode" .. no heat but water in the tank so you get some moisture or no water in the tank providing humidifier turned off

Edit: For me humidifier is more than just for comfort, its a necessity for CPAP compliance
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepinginAdelaide, I live in Melbourne so our humidity is similar, I have always used it mainly because it came with it and have never tried it without a humidifer.
As our outdoor humidity is different to indoor humidity, I use mine like a air conditioner / heater, I have it higher in winter and lower in summer. At the moment because it is winter I have it set at 24c and in summer have it around 19c. It works for me and no one has ever been able to tell me what the correct temperature should be so I just go by comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used my humidifier one night - the first night of CPAP at home back in 2004... the DME told me then that it was optional. So, I opted out on the second night and thereafter with no major problems.

I must admit that the past couple of weeks, I've switched temporarily to a nasal mask from my nasal pillows system, but this is simply because I'm trying to get rid of my larger nose-holes (see The "Henry Waxman" look - an issue with nasal pillows?)

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile To humdify or not to Humidify!!! Matzaball2016 19 3,296 05-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.