Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To sleep or not to sleep clinically speaking what is better for you??
To sleep or not to sleep clinically speaking what is better for you??
Ok so just recently I found myself in a situation where i could not use my machine. I didn't think it would be such a huge deal, I went years with untreated apnea, so is one night likely going to kill me? I doubted it. I really had no options beyond 1- sleep in the best position I could, or 2- don't go to sleep.

Now it's after the fact, and I just wonder whether not sleeping was the better choice medically speaking.

I must say I felt like 10 pounds of poop in a 5 pound bag after trying to sleep in the best possible position, and I think sleeping was the worse choice between the two.

So, does anyone actually know what the better choice is?
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: To sleep or not to sleep clinically speaking what is better for you??
I have insomnia and often go 24hrs or more without sleep. And I have lost power and had to sleep without my CPAP.

In the long run? Time period being the same? I "feel better" staying awake. Sleeping without my CPAP causes me, personally, to feel like crap on a stick while I am rather used to staying awake which just makes me feel tired. Sleeping w/out CPAP increases my blood pressure and increases my heart rate. And makes me cranky.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Recently had a [thankfully] short trip, where I pulled boneheaded move of carefully packing my case with machine and stuff... and forgot to pack the *&^%$#@!!! power supply.

Luckily, I had my CPAP pillow - that plus breathing exercises on my side (side sleeper) helped me get through the night and while definitely NOT ideal, was better [for me] than staying awake.

As an IT person, I've had to crash in an IT room during an emergency all-nighter or two... Some exhausted sleep is still better than none. But either way, sleeping with machine will usually be better.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me personally not sleeping would be safer. One of the quirks noticed during my lab titration and home test was that my O2 levels will drop rapidly into the mid low 60s with only two to three back to back OAs. And recovers slowly. On the machine I never drop out of the mid 90s.

Staying awake for me would be better. Why I have a old M series backup and generator for power outages.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would take a punt and sleep
The worst thing can happen if managed to fall asleep is frequent awakenings and wake up with a headache

More chance of being knocked off crossing the road than dying in my sleep Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Having been on therapy for less than a month, I cannot be very authoritative here. Seems it is based on how severe your condition is.

I have checked my own O2 swings in times where I do not have machine on, by strapping on the Oximeter. My chosen device has an alarm if the O2 gets too low, thus partial awakening me for shifting positions, or at least telling me "you are not safe." My oximeter can watch over me all night, on batteries.

Sorry about your condition. Sad

by the way - thanks for bringing up the interesting subject, warranting my very first post. Thanks
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would sleep whatever my body insisted upon and not sleep more than that (e.g., not sleep just because it is time to sleep.)

My version of insomnia is very effective and useful, and causes me no real trouble 99% of the time; it allows me to stay awake long periods whenever that is my choice, function well afterwards, and enjoy the time awake. (It's mostly a trick with hypnosis probably.)

Periods of intense learning, joy, excitement etc. all lead to me sleeping very little and enjoying the result.

So you turn this around and just determine to ENJOY the heck out of being awake (until your body or mind insists upon sleeping.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I too am used to being awake for 24-48hrs at a time, and would feel worse sleeping without my machine, than just staying up with a good book or something else to interest me. I once had to travel overnight for work, and brought everything but my mask (lame), so just stayed awake til I got home - tired, but no worse for wear.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
So it sounds like one of the things we need to do is to keep an extra power supply in the travel bag. And to put a list of things we need in the bag so we don't forget things. Like the mask. Really Peter? You forgot the mask??
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just want to say my experience says better to stay awake. I have spent many days and nights awake in the past, 48 hours is totally ok for me. I would not make the mistake of going to sleep again unless I absolutely had no choice like Herb says. It was a mistake for me to try and sleep.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 112 8 minutes ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 75 1,714 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 240 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 63 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 183 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.