Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To sleep or not to sleep clinically speaking what is better for you??
RE: To sleep or not to sleep clinically speaking what is better for you??
(11-30-2014, 01:58 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: So it sounds like one of the things we need to do is to keep an extra power supply in the travel bag. And to put a list of things we need in the bag so we don't forget things. Like the mask. Really Peter? You forgot the mask??

Hehe-in all fairness I only did it one time. I do not know *how* I did it, but ya I forgot the mask...

Add: the tube made it though...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Duct tape
Garden hose
Radiator hose
Straws
Paper clips
Rubber bands

Everything McGyver needs to assemble a cpap mask......
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you CAN stay awake for up to 30 hours at a stretch if you need to (or more sometimes - surgeons are trained for it, as well as not going to the toilet, standing the entire time, etc) so if you are talking about a 24 hour stretch, it might well be, if you can take it and alertness is not an issue, then don't sleep. Hint: coffee does not help - if you are a coffee drinker, it does nothing for you in terms of extra alertness - only if you do not drink coffee will it provide alertness and wakefulness. It is a drug that you habituate to very quickly. Sugary drinks will actually make you even more tired, as once the sugar high wears off, which is pretty quickly, you will crash. Otherwise I would suggest allowing yourself light dozing for a few minutes at a time - cat-naps, so to speak - usually you won't desat too extremely and you will give your brain enough rest that you will still be functional without feeling to crappy from having large doses of desats. If you are talking about being up for more than 24 hours and you are not trained for it, then the cat napping, light dozing and just "resting the eyes" will be your best friend.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2014, 07:18 PM)Galactus Wrote: Duct tape
Garden hose
Radiator hose
Straws
Paper clips
Rubber bands

Everything McGyver needs to assemble a cpap mask......

Oh Good One!! Would love to see one actually made...
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
C'mon Galactus,

Put one together and give us a picture.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting responses. Personally, if I don't have my CPAP, I won't take a nap if sleep deprived. Always wake up with a terrible headache. But, having done the 48hr+ thing several times, I think I would try and sleep then.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also need to take into consideration what you will be doing. If you are driving, let me know and I will make a preemptive 911 call (if you give me your route).

Personally, I am at a point where I can go a night without my machine especially if it will be a short night (like crash at 1 and get up at 4). Another alternative is to use a recliner and sleep more or less sitting up. Before I had my back surgery, the only place I could "sleep" was the recliner. By the time I had my surgery, I could tell you the phone numbers for all the offers on the infomercials.

In my younger days I could quite a while before having to take a nap. I flew for the USAF as a navigator and often had to fly 16 - 20 hours without a relief nav. Got real good at the long blinks.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2014, 09:53 PM)PaytonA Wrote: C'mon Galactus,

Put one together and give us a picture.

I'll do it if you promise to model it. Deal?

I've had to stay awake on quite a few occasions over the years, the easiest way to do it is drink a whole lot of coffee, or any other beverage you like, till you have to go to the bathroom. Then hold it, you aren't falling asleep while you have to urinate Big Grin It is the course of last resorts. lol
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am so conditioned to using the machine and assisted breathing that I cannot lie down and sleep without a mask. Even recliner sleeping is very uncomfortable and is more like resting.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 95 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,681 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 62 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 101 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.