Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To tape or not to tape - #'s don't lie
To tape or not to tape - #'s don't lie
Last night I decided I would try the tape method over my mouth. It was not as uncomfortable as I would have though. I did feel like the pressure felt more intense and breathing slightly harder and just a bit claustrophobic. I also seemed to swallow more air. However, I think the benefit out weighted the negative. This is the first time I have ever had a relatively flat Leak Rate chart.
I have always felt like it was my mask that was leaking. My wife would often move my pillow to get me to move to make the air sound stop. She could not tell it was coming from the mask or my mouth. I would occasionally wake up with dry mouth as well. I tried everything to get the "mask" to stop leaking when it may appear that the mask may have not been as guilty as I thought. I do know that some times, it was indeed the mask as I would often have to readjust it during the night. With my new P10 and better positioning/fitting, that seemed to help a lot in that department.
So I have included a screen shot of the night before I taped, and last night when I did tape.
Couple of questions. 
[ol]
[li]Should I lower my starting pressure down to say 13 for a night to see if that helps with pressure while using tape.[/li]
[li]Max is set to 20 for the next month so that my DME can chart progress towards getting me approved for a new machine. How does the tape chart look vs, non tape with regards to going to a Aircurve 10 Vauto. I think that is what she recommended if I am seeing high pressures. Wondering if bilevel looks to be the proper path vs. CPAP currently.[/li]
[/ol]
Still have lots to learn. Thank you for your time.
If anyone in one the fence for taping or really not sure if you are a mouth breather, try the tape method. Cost nothing and the numbers don't lie.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: To tape or not to tape - #'s don't lie
A lower pressure does not seem to be advised where you have mainly obstructive events (OA, H) and snores present. You might want to try adding Flex at 1 to see if that improves your "feel" for the pressure. I think with the improvement, stick with it a couple more nights. I get the impression that some obstruction is clustered, and positional therapy should be considered. This would be any aid that can prevent your chin from tucking towards your chest. An ergonomic pillow or a comfortable fitting cervical collar (just 2-2-1/2 inches tall) and large enough to fit around your neck without being tight.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2018, 08:21 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: ...and positional therapy should be considered.  This would be any aid that can prevent your chin from tucking towards your chest. ..

Also, if you are a side-sleeper, anything that will prevent your shoulder/clavicle area from relaxing downward against your throat. 'Hugging' a cylindrical pillow works for me - it's hard to explain the arm angle that is necessary to achieve results, but it is very comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the cylindrical pillow used in a position like a body pillow and lengthwise to the body? Or do you us it like your regular pillow? I fight my pillows a lot and tried all sorts of pillows but I keep going back to my original configuration but I'm just not real happy with them.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider Wrote:A lower pressure does not seem to be advised where you have mainly obstructive events (OA, H) and snores present.  You might want to try adding Flex at 1 to see if that improves your "feel" for the pressure.  I think with the improvement, stick with it a couple more nights.  I get the impression that some obstruction is clustered, and positional therapy should be considered.  This would be any aid that can prevent your chin from tucking towards your chest.  An ergonomic pillow or a comfortable fitting cervical collar (just 2-2-1/2 inches tall) and large enough to fit around your neck without being tight.

Hi Sleeprider.

Flex is currently set at 1. Do you mean set it at 2 now.
Also, I am doing what I can for positional therapy already. I have a long pillow behind my back to help prevent rollovers, I side sleep, I have been using a 2-1/2" cervical collar for about a week now, and my pillow is a getcool memory foam one which seem to conform to my head. I will look at pillow options to see if I can find something. 
With what my latest sleepyhead chart shows, would this still be considered for bilevel treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kosoku, we have limited options with CPAP and auto-CPAP. You are already at a relatively large pressure, and the ideal solution would be if we could work with pressure support (difference between IPAP and EPAP) to provide better control of hypopnea and flow limits. I was not familiar with your use of c-collar and pillows, or Flex, so it's helpful to know that is already in play.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2018, 09:10 AM)JesseLee Wrote: Is the cylindrical pillow used in a position like a body pillow and lengthwise to the body? Or do you us it like your regular pillow? I fight my pillows a lot and tried all sorts of pillows but I keep going back to my original configuration but I'm just not real happy with them.

Yes, lengthwise to the body.

You could attempt to test if this would help by lying on your side and consciously relaxing your shoulder. If it shifts position and settles into your neck, then you may have the same positional problem that I have.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2018, 07:42 PM)kiwii Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 09:10 AM)JesseLee Wrote: Is the cylindrical pillow used in a position like a body pillow and lengthwise to the body? Or do you us it like your regular pillow? I fight my pillows a lot and tried all sorts of pillows but I keep going back to my original configuration but I'm just not real happy with them.

Yes, lengthwise to the body.

You could attempt to test if this would help by lying on your side and consciously relaxing your shoulder. If it shifts position and settles into your neck, then you may have the same positional problem that I have.

Ok, have to give it a shot. The pillow fights has cost me many bucks and im still losing! Thanks 
Wasn't trying to hijack the thread.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
BPAP or bi-level can be explored for you with running higher pressure settings like yours. Ask your doc about it to see if you can request a switch over.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2018, 08:30 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: BPAP or bi-level can be explored for you with running higher pressure settings like yours. Ask your doc about it to see if you can request a switch over.

Hi Dave.

I did speak to my DME and they agree. I just need to graph another 25 days straight, roughly, and they believe that if the #'s stay high, which I assume they will, then they will recommend me for the aircurve 10 Vauto. And since I have had my current CPAP since 2011. insurance will cover 80% of the cost. Rest out of pocket or I do believe that my wife's insurance will cover the rest as her's is regular health insurance + extra $'s a year to additional expenses that they can spend on health related stuff, such as CPAP, eye glass frames, etc.. So  hopefully in another months time, I will have a new machine that will work better for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  mouth tape cberistain 15 667 02-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 29 2,581 02-05-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  For chronic mouth leakers using tape and getting mixed results, or even poor results. Expat31 1 400 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mouth puffing up with tape shamrock72 12 2,189 11-02-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: antond
  PAP MD Mouth Tape Columbiabill 6 8,017 10-28-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: antiquefrek

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.